*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Sentimental over sticks (aww)

Julia

So today’s practice sticks were my VF 8Ds.  While they are not my favorite to use at the moment, as I practiced I looked down at my hands and was suddenly caught up in emotion.  

This was the first pair I bought five or six years ago when I started my drum journey with just the sticks and a practice pad, the YouTube videos of a certain amazing drum instructor, and a brand new subscription to his online drum school.  And lots of hope beyond all reason for a drum kit, which everyone in my entourage kind of rolled their eyes at.

I could not imagine then where I’d be today with drumming - solid skill progress, confidence (and justification) to call myself a drummer, a band of brothers- and sisters-in-rhythm, knowledge about drum hardware, and not just one but TWO kits, one in an “off-site practice space” (thanks for that last one, Mom! 😄 ).

No one rolls their eyes at me anymore. They see what drumming has done for me and they tell me to go practice.

Whatever my favorites happen to be at any time, these sticks are keepers.

Edited by Julia
  • Like 2
  • Rocks! 3

They're the ones you keep and when their time is up you put them in a drawer and take them out once in a while and feel that feeling all over again and that way they go on and on reaffirming what you do and why and never cease to be of use to you.

• Like 1

Guest chantale
10 hours ago, Julia said:

They see what drumming has done for me and they tell me to go practice.

It's amazing the positive change that drumming brings to the personality in a short time. I didn't have this emotion for a pair of sticks but I smile when I look at the paint which is erased on my 1a because I know that a lot of hours have been spent practicing on it. So I understand how you feel.🙂

I was glad to be able to keep my first kit.  It’s an older version of the SPL Unity that I got used for very cheap.  I thought I’d get rid of it as soon as I upgraded, but when I did, I had a hard time parting with it.  After paying off some bills I’m going to replace all the heads and really see what it can do.