*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

The Pick-My-Sticks Challenge (moved from the Sticklers club)

If you have too many various different pairs of sticks like I do, here's a way you can mix up your practices and challenge yourself on a number of levels:  Get someone else to choose the sticks you're using in your practice session.

You could truly randomize the stick choice by assigning each pair a number and using a number randomizer or rolling dice, but why not go for the ultimate challenge of subjecting yourself to people's whims and moods? 😄 

My husband drum tech had gotten a number of pairs of sticks that just ended up assimilated into my collection, so I have all of these sticks just lying around, some of them more suited to his hands and tastes than mine...which is a good way to develop awareness of my grip and technique (or lack thereof).

This evening, after asking me where my taiko sticks were (smart aleck that he is), my other half chose his Vater Sugar Maple Super Jazz sticks for my practice.  My first reaction:  Oh crap, they're untaped.  Next reaction:  too bad, you made up this challenge. 

To sum up the experience:

• I had to pay close attention to my grip because of the lack of tape and the Unbearable Lightness of Maple.
  • Maple sticks bounce very nicely off of cymbals, including the bell, great for Basics of Groove #15 which involves the ride bell.
  • Despite the impressive bounce, they sounded a bit odd on the cymbals compared to my usual sticks so I had to ignore that and focus on my playing.
  • Fulcrum and drop/grab were tricky.  (Actually, the drop part was super easy -- sticks right down to the floor. 🙄  I really do love my stick tape.)
  • I was forced to pay attention to my dynamics.  My tendency was to want to bang harder to make up for the light sticks -- silly idea.  Then I started to appreciate the nice sound of maple when I play softly.
  • I could feel how the stick weight affected speed and rebound; subtle differences from my usual sticks had me more alert and focused.

Stay tuned for next time to find out what sticks my spouse chooses for me and whether I meet the challenge or throw the sticks out the window 😁

Edited by Julia
  • Like 1
  • Rocks! 2

• Julia changed the title to The Pick-My-Sticks Challenge
5 hours ago, Julia said:

Stay tuned for next time to find out what sticks my spouse chooses for me and whether I meet the challenge or throw the sticks out the window 😁

Maybe throw the spouse out the window and pick whatever stick you want?

This is a great idea except my spouse has NO interest in what drumstick I use apparently "they're all the same aren't they??"

I'm regularly changing from 7A's with acorn tips to 7A's with nylon tips to 7A's with barrel tips to rute505's to hot rods to brushes to mallets all in the course of one service so I get the chance to change my sound all the time but for those of you who stick (there it is!) with the same ones all the time this could be a very beneficial exercise cool idea Julia!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Julia said:

This evening, after asking me where my taiko sticks were (smart aleck that he is), my other half chose his Vater Sugar Maple Super Jazz sticks for my practice.  My first reaction:  Oh crap, they're untaped.  Next reaction:  too bad, you made up this challenge. 

My wife handed me a mallet and a Vic Firth AJ6.  Fortunately she didn’t see the brushes. Anyway I practiced with them. The results led me to believe that matched pairs of sticks are highly overrated. 

• Like 1
  • Rocks! 1

I like this idea but, like Sean, my wife wouldn't join in so I might just randomise the selection.  I do like the idea on mixing and matching like Bob did.  I like it when I see a drummer using a stick and a brush... or a shaker... so I should try it. Great idea this @Julia

• Rocks! 2

I tend to believe that as with sports gear, those details that are the difference between the winners and the rest at competition level, not only do not make me any better, but I don't even notice any difference 🤘😅

Saved a lot of money over the years on gear designed for top competition levels, that I would use recreationally. Except if it is pretty and I want it, I need it, I must have it 🤣

• Haha 1

I'm currently learning Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" and, for some reason, I often end up crashing the sticks together on the hi-hat and losing one. When that happens I have to just grab any old stick from the bag and carry on playing with it. That can get challenging if it's a heavier stick but I suppose it all helps muscle buildup 😉

• Like 2

I love this idea. I dig how this gets us out of our comfort zone and makes us focus more.

I have several different sets of sticks in my bag that I never use. Like others, my girlfriend wouldn't have a clue, so I believe I'll use a method that @Stephen has suggested for marking pairs and then just randomize it with dice or something.

Thanks, Julia!

Guest chantale

Good idea @Julia, I'll see what it's like to play with lighter sticks, maybe with a little more experience I'll start to like it or even, I'll just enjoy my 1a even more more. 🥁🙂

24 minutes ago, David said:

There's a great TED talk that he did, the Brush playing at the end is just wonderful

A double thank you David!  This is a great video.  Jojo's re-engineering of digital drums for live acoustic performance is one of the great trends in modern drumming.

• Like 1

I have not ventured into the mismatched stick idea, do so at your own risk!  If you try this, though, I hope that you will post your experience and outline the benefits and pitfalls for us.

Hmm, if you've got wet blankets around you that won't choose sticks, I thought of some options:

1 - Upload an image of your sticks, numbered or color coded, to this thread.  Then when you ask "which sticks?" you can go with the first of us that answers you.  Maybe we can work out a system here, suggestions?

2 - Text a more cooperative friend with said image so they can pick.

3 - Make your nearest wet blanket choose a pair anyway, it will be like a random choice except you get the amusement and satisfaction of annoying them.  Blindfold them and make them choose the first pair they touch.  

4 - My husband will choose for you.  He doesn't seem to mind.

15 hours ago, Sean said:

Maybe throw the spouse out the window and pick whatever stick you want?

Nah, he's got his uses 😉 He also just learned to make these incredible noodle dishes, I'm married to Iron Chef Noodles now.  No way am I giving that up. 

@David  I love Jojo Mayer. I have his signature sticks as well as his instructional DVD which is as fascinating and entertaining as it is instructional.  I don't buy a lot of drumming instructional materials, but his is a must-have.

@Christine Thank you for being a fellow crasher-together-of-the-sticks person <high-five>  I feel seen and validated.  And I love that Stevie Nicks album, it was one of the first albums I owned when I became musically aware.

@chantale It definitely does make me appreciate the good qualities of my favorite sticks to try this challenge.  I hope, though, that I will become more flexible and cling less to my favorites.  I have a feeling that I will never want to give up stick taping, though.  I mean, I have purple electrical tape for them now...life is good, and I agree with @Juan that pretty things matter 😄

Edited by Julia
  • Rocks! 1

I ended up doing my practice with drum mallets yesterday amongst other things... and it was fun, very different.  

• Very tip heavy so you have to adjust how you play, I reduced the fulcrum and played all wrist-hinge. 
  • It forced me to play very clean, single fills.
  • It changes the sound of everything, lot of fun, time to get your prog on 🙂
  • It also forces you to move cleanly round the kit as the heads of the mallets will clash as they are so big.

I'll do this again 🙂

1648324278555.thumb.jpg.1ded831faaf4af712d0a51c06bbafec1.jpg

@Cynthia Your grandson’s choice is a good one, and I am insanely jealous that you have sticks that light up and change colors.

@David This is next-level experimentation.  I like that mallets made you play clean singles and move carefully, and the sound change is intriguing. Are we witnessing the beginning of the Mallet Band? 😉

@Hercules  I admire your stick minimalism.  I’m too curious about drumsticks for that kind of discipline.  Fortunately, my desire to buy new pairs of sticks is weaker than what it used to be…although not completely gone.

• Like 2