*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Graphite sticks - things that make me go “uh...”

Julia

Back in my pre-kit days, I ordered an Aquarian practice pad online and received a free pair of their graphite sticks (size 5A) along with it.  They’re...interesting.  Link:  https://www.aquariandrumheads.com/product/graphite-sticks/  

They’re heavy, which might be good if you’re looking to test your hand strength.  They’d probably be good for doing the grip exercises from the Hand Technique lesson track (but ouch, don’t hit your arms too hard with them, they sting! 😂).  They are uncomfortably buzzy on the practice pad, and they seem so tough that I’m afraid they would chew up the Superpad on my snare or eat right through my Silentstrokes as if they were spider webs.  They are curiosities, oddities that I’ve stuck in among my collection just because that’s where they would logically go. 

I prefer the feel of wood sticks.  The only real advantage I can think of for the graphites is that they resist breakage, if you are a heavy hitter.  

If you’ve used these before or use them now, I’d like to hear what their appeal is for you.  If you are curious about them, I’d be willing to mail them to you; they are collecting dust and taking up space here in the heavy glass tiled jar that I use as a “drumstick vase”.  

• Like 1

They sound quite interesting Julia. I remember when graphite started to become popular in the golf industry back in the 80s- it was light, a little too fragile and pretty expensive. Things have changed hugely in the meantime and I was surprised to see the price of these sticks being comparable to a wooden stick.

I'm sure that you will find a use for them- have fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, James said:

I'm hoping they don't damage my drum heads!

Hey @James, Don't worry, they don't. I play a lot of different roots with the band, I have a whole arsenal of them. I like them very much for some songs. I use the thicker ones for rock songs. Side effect: they forgive more mistakes than sticks 😉

IMG_4181.JPG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Hey @James, Don't worry, they don't. I play a lot of different roots with the band, I have a whole arsenal of them. I like them very much for some songs. I use the thicker ones for rock songs. Side effect: they forgive more mistakes than sticks 😉

IMG_4181.JPG

Thanks Erwin - that's a big relief!  I'm looking forward to working on my Bossa Nova. I've found it fiendishly complicated coordinating hands and feet so I'm planning on doing the Bossa Nova lessons on here after I've completed the Beginner Lesson Track 1.

• Like 1

@James thanks for posting those!  Let us know how they work for you as you get used to them and play different things with them.

I’m also interested in Bossa Nova — I’m working on the Warrior Way first, and I’ve got quite a while to go on that, but I’m thinking to get into Bossa Nova after I finish.

• Like 1

Thanks Julia - I've had a little go with the rods. I like the different feel and the sound - particularly when hitting cymbals, but they don't seem any good for making a nice cross stick sound on my snare drum - so I may have to play with one drum stick in my left hand (7A or 5B) to get that nice cross stick click and one rod in my right hand for cymbal and toms joy!

• Like 1