*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

What led you to the drums?

David

Growing up I had a friend who was part of a family dance hall band. His Aunt was my music teacher in school and kind of coached me into it. I played for a few years but stopped due to life getting in the way of dreams of making it. Now I am just getting back into drums and music. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I loved the drums since I was 5, my parents used to take me to church and there was an orchestra. From the first time I saw the drums I was so amazed. Since then I always wanted to play but my parents couldn't afford that amount of money neither wanted to get me a kit so I waited until I had my own salary and here I am now, having my own kit.

In the meantime I've learned how to beat box Haha almost every song I heard I was tapping the rhythm on my leg or something. Sometimes I hate the fact I have to go to sleep because that means to let the drumsticks down Haha. 

• 1 year later...

I played a few instruments when I was younger but never really dedicated myself the way I should have. Trumpet and tuba in school band. Electric guitar as a teen and then again as an adult. Tried the e-drums as well as an adult. Life never really let me pursue music, and I didn't push myself enough.

2 years ago at age 51, and because of the support of my girlfriend I got back into it when I purchased a Yamaha DTX403(I think is the model). Then a friend of mine gave me the PDP kit that was in his storage. Figured out self teaching wasn't working because I didn't know what I was doing anyway, so I came here. Absolutely love playing the drums because I'm a fidget-er and the complexity of drums helps that. I've always liked things that kept me moving and kept my mind occupied.  

• Like 1
  • Rocks! 2