*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

So... I bought a pair of 1A sticks

David

I already have 7As (which I use on the kit) and 5Bs which are used mainly on a practice pad but after injuring my wrist a month or so ago, I thought that a heavier stick (for use on the pad) would help me to rehabilitate and allow me to build more strength. So far, things are going very well - I have large hands in any case so holding the larger diameter stick is not a problem and my wrist is already feeling more stable after 10 days of work.

There is no temptation to use them on the kit, but I believe that anything which makes practice more interesting and fun has to be a good idea. I grabbed a quick snap of the new sticks alongside a pair of 7A for those of you who may not have seen them in person.

1A7A.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They look like broomsticks compared to the 7A in the photo, but they’re not as gigantic as I thought.  I looked up the dimensions - .58” diameter and almost 17” long.  Are you finding that they help you with your rehab?  

I used to avoid larger sticks because I have tiny hands.  Later, I noticed a couple of things — first, larger diameter sticks helped me get used to traditional grip a little better.  Second, switching between different types of sticks helps me refine my grip and techniques.  I discover something new with each pair, and learn more about my likes and dislikes.  

Thanks for posting these! 

3 hours ago, Julia said:

They look like broomsticks compared to the 7A in the photo, but they’re not as gigantic as I thought.  I looked up the dimensions - .58” diameter and almost 17” long.  Are you finding that they help you with your rehab?  

I used to avoid larger sticks because I have tiny hands.  Later, I noticed a couple of things — first, larger diameter sticks helped me get used to traditional grip a little better.  Second, switching between different types of sticks helps me refine my grip and techniques.  I discover something new with each pair, and learn more about my likes and dislikes.  

Thanks for posting these! 

Thanks Julia. My wrist feels much better than it did a few weeks back...   how much of that improvement can be attributed to the larger/heavier sticks I am unsure, but I am convinced that they are helping me to rebuild strength which is a very good thing.

I hear you about enjoying moving from one size stick to another and I also find that it helps to develop feel. Although I don't use these big guys on the kit, they are my go-to sticks on the practice pad at the moment and things are moving along smoothly.

Have a good weekend!