*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Survey - Does your Praise Team rehearse?

Bruce

Please tell me if your praise team rehearses and how frequently.  If you only meet for a run-through on Sunday morning, please indicate that's the case.

Where I worship we rarely rehearse and usually meet Sunday mornings for a 20 minute run through.

We go in an hour before service and rehearse. Everyone is supposed to know their parts coming in and I'm okay with that part. The problem is that often the worship leader changes the arrangement, for various reasons. While I don't particularly like that, I am there to give him what he and the team needs. It can be frustrating to have practiced and learned my part only to have it changed shortly before the service but, in the end, I am there to serve, even if it means complete deviation from what I have rehearsed beforehand.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

We go in an hour before service and rehearse. Everyone is supposed to know their parts coming in and I'm okay with that part. The problem is that often the worship leader changes the arrangement, for various reasons. While I don't particularly like that, I am there to give him what he and the team needs. It can be frustrating to have practiced and learned my part only to have it changed shortly before the service but, in the end, I am there to serve, even if it means complete deviation from what I have rehearsed beforehand.

Well said @Jeffrey

• Like 1

@Jeffrey - I freaking love that attitude. You are so right, playing in church has nothing to do with us, but serving the body. Well said man. 

@Bruce - I have experienced both scenarios in the past, and like / dislike each one for different reasons.

I enjoy rehearsing with the band mid week, then a quick run through before church on Sunday morning. This lets the band get tight & also allows the group to work on transitions, specific parts etc. It really lets the band hone in on what they are doing & how to play together well. However it is difficult for everyone to be able to make those mid week rehearsals, which can lead to them being a waste of time. 

I also enjoy rehearsing just before church on Sunday mornings. This has pushed me to improve my charting, & the level of expectation is raised for the whole band. You can't show up to a run through before church & not know the songs. I think this method encourages the band to be responsible as individuals, it also is a much more flexible style of managing the praise band. 

I think both can be useful & have their own place in a church's organization. That's just my two cents though, I'm sure others will have their own opinions!

• Like 2