*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

A frivolous purchase

Julia

My last trip to Guitar Center was to pick up some Silentstroke heads for my kick and snare drums.  I couldn't resist grabbing something else for fun — I got these Zildjian sticks, 5A maple with green dip.  To my knowledge, they are fairly new on the market.  The grip is really comfortable, but we'll see how it lasts long-term after some use and abuse.  

I find myself leaning more toward either taping sticks or getting dipped ones.  This isn't to avoid dropping them — grip or no, dropping sticks is apparently my superpower 🙄 .  I just like the feel of the grips or tape.  But I purposely don't tape all of my bare sticks, just to check myself and make sure I don't grow dependent on grip aids. 

What opinions and feelings do you have about grips and/or tape on your sticks?  If you've tried these sticks, has the grip been durable? 

A0B0DE89-041C-4CC9-B330-15C9A2B16793.thumb.jpeg.2a33cc0522e1539727c2874e6b8386fc.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julia said:

My last trip to Guitar Center was to pick up some Silentstroke heads for my kick and snare drums.  I couldn't resist grabbing something else for fun — I got these Zildjian sticks, 5A maple with green dip.  To my knowledge, they are fairly new on the market.  The grip is really comfortable, but we'll see how it lasts long-term after some use and abuse.  

I find myself leaning more toward either taping sticks or getting dipped ones.  This isn't to avoid dropping them — grip or no, dropping sticks is apparently my superpower 🙄 .  I just like the feel of the grips or tape.  But I purposely don't tape all of my bare sticks, just to check myself and make sure I don't grow dependent on grip aids. 

What opinions and feelings do you have about grips and/or tape on your sticks?  If you've tried these sticks, has the grip been durable? 

A0B0DE89-041C-4CC9-B330-15C9A2B16793.thumb.jpeg.2a33cc0522e1539727c2874e6b8386fc.jpeg

I have a pair of dipped Vic Firth sticks. I like them for working on my practice pad but I find there is less "feel" on drums

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 4:39 AM, Julia said:

For a while I used dipped sticks from VicFirth. However, over time and under sun exposure, the paint dissolved and became sticky. So I removed the coating.

• Like 1

@Scott It seems like a highly personal thing, like drummer footwear.  It will be interesting to see how my preferences change when I start playing without mutes; I'm sure there will be subtle differences in the feel. 

@Erwin I think that's what must have happened to the Questlove signature sticks I posted about in a previous Sticklers thread.  They were brand new...to me, but I bet they had been sitting in the store for a long time in the tiny, independent music shop where I bought them.

I am enjoying the feel of the grips — hopefully they'll last longer than I think they will.