*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Your Church Kit

Gordon

On 7/25/2019 at 8:38 PM, Aaron said:

Our main Sanctuary has a Mapex Orion Kit 
Our Youth/Young Adult Center called "The Highway" has a Gretsch Catalina Maple 

Aaron, I’ve been seriously considering the Catalina Maple. How is that kit in your opinion?

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Aaron, I’ve been seriously considering the Catalina Maple. How is that kit in your opinion?

It does the job well. The only thing I don't like about Gretsch is that I've had to replace over 8 lugs across the whole kit and a Gretsch Retroluxe Snare.

Thank you my friend for the input. I’m playing an e-kit for now but I’m beginning the search for acoustic.  I don’t want to just jump into something because the price is good. 

I suppose any manufacturer is going to have an issue here and there though. 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Thank you my friend for the input. I’m playing an e-kit for now but I’m beginning the search for acoustic.  I don’t want to just jump into something because the price is good. 

I suppose any manufacturer is going to have an issue here and there though. 

Very true. I think it's also that it's over 8 years old. 

Probably going to have to be replaced within the next 2 years. I mean it took 10 years to get that mapex orion kit in the main sanctuary i was always looking around for someone selling something at a ridiculously silly price, like we got that kit for 300$ The guy selling it had NO idea how much it was worth. So it worked out for us in the best way. 

On 7/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, Aaron said:

It does the job well. The only thing I don't like about Gretsch is that I've had to replace over 8 lugs across the whole kit and a Gretsch Retroluxe Snare.

What?!?!?! Why so many lugs??? 

• 2 months later...

This was my last setup. I have a Hendrix Drums walnut perfect ply kit with a walnut stave snare. I like the Istanbul cymbals because they are thin and dark, and yet stiff enough to open up pretty easily when not playing with drum sticks (90% of the time).

I've been going for a warm and dark sound as I play only in smaller places. This is right next to an acoustic piano...

fullsizeoutput_b7f6.thumb.jpeg.fc1b08fbc249a36467f114c9172df264.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 3:16 AM, John-Olav said:

This was my last setup. I have a Hendrix Drums walnut perfect ply kit with a walnut stave snare. I like the Istanbul cymbals because they are thin and dark, and yet stiff enough to open up pretty easily when not playing with drum sticks (90% of the time).

I've been going for a warm and dark sound as I play only in smaller places. This is right next to an acoustic piano...

WOW @John-Olav. Now that is a great setup for drumming in church. That kit / cymbals is perfect. I know a lot of guys who go with Istanbul cymbals when they are playing in church, it's always a great choice. Super thin & easy to control, they are a great option. 

How do you like the walnut drums versus a standard maple kit? 

3 hours ago, Joshua said:

WOW @John-Olav. Now that is a great setup for drumming in church. That kit / cymbals is perfect. I know a lot of guys who go with Istanbul cymbals when they are playing in church, it's always a great choice. Super thin & easy to control, they are a great option. 

How do you like the walnut drums versus a standard maple kit? 

Well, I don’t actually have tons of experience with maple drums.

But what I can say is that I really like the tones I get from these drums. Nice bottom end and warm sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...