• Let it be
  • Red Album
  • Blue Album
  • Beaucoups of Blues (Solo)
  • Goodnight Vienna (Solo)

YouTube

Edited by David
  • Rocks! 4

Walsh, Ringo & Company! I'd like to have 1% of talent that is in that room in my ability to be a musician.

Ringo Starr and Russ Kunkel playing  as one- never missed a beat!

Lee Sklar on bass

Waddy Watchel on guitar

Benmont Tench on keyboards

Joe Walsh as Joe Walsh!

I flew out to the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland when I was in my 20's,  as The James Gang reunited to do a benefit for The  R&R Hall of Fame.

When I was in line buying a beer ( oh it was for a friend-lol) folks were talking and I was shocked how far folks came that night to see The James Gang.

I thought I was far being from NJ but some one beat me!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

The James Gang

What a great band, I will have to get some in the playlist, it's been years.  I used to play funk 49 in a band, such fun and groove...  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

OMG- I just went back and looked and I saw The James Gang in 2001 in Cleveland. I have to be honest, I was not in my 20's but in my FORTIES-lol.

I seemed to have lost a few years in my life in between my 20 and 40's! It's called WORK-lol

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm late, but I  picked up the 2022 Remix and Remaster of Revolver, and wow. Martin really managed to bring Ringo up in the mix. The remixed "She Said She Said" really makes Ringo shine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZOBWYHgZjw You can finally hear the bass drum how it should be heard. Ludwig Squeak King not included.

Walsh, Ringo & Co-Funk #49 is one of favorite vids to visit. I should be minding Ringo for a lesson but I still spend most of my time watching Lee Sklar.  He is back there so chill. 

• Like 1
  • Rocks! 2

15 minutes ago, Kirstin said:

The remixed "She Said She Said" really makes Ringo shine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZOBWYHgZjw

I think this is my absolute favourite Ringo performance and this is my favourite Beatles album.  Shame we never played this in the Beatles tribute band I was in but there's time yet 🙂  

Edited by David
  • Rocks! 1

15 minutes ago, David said:

This is one of my absolute favourite Ringo performances and this is my favourite Beatles album.  Shame we never played this in the Beatles tribute band I was in.  

Definitely Revolver. Of the latest works by Giles Martin, this is the only one I just had to have because it is a favorite, and because  Peter Jackson was so kind as to lend Martin the means to fully deconstruct this album into separate tracks and remix it from the ground up. I was dead curious how Ringo's playing would sound now that the kit had been broken into individual parts and rebalanced.

Yes, shame that tribute bands generally stick to the stage performance material. When I am good enough I wouldn't mind joining one for a time. Just to co-exist with my most favorite drummer for a while. There used to be an all woman tribute band around here, but not seen them for a while. I used to joke with them that if they ever needed a Jimmy Nichols "call me." 

P.S. The album also features "Rain" played at full speed. Mind blown. No wonder Ringo always claimed he was possessed and on fire that day.

Edited by Kirstin

2 minutes ago, Kirstin said:

Definitely Revolver. Of the latest works by Giles Martin, this is the only one I just had to have because it is a favorite, and because  Peter Jackson was so kind as to lend Martin the means to fully deconstruct this album into separate tracks and remix it from the ground up. I was dead curious how Ringo's playing would sound now that the kit had been broken into individual parts and rebalanced.

Yes, shame that tribute bands generally stick to the stage performance material. When I am good enough I wouldn't mind joining one for a time. Just to co-exist with my most favorite drummer for a while. There used to be an all woman tribute band around here, but not seen them for a while. I used to joke with them that if they ever needed a Jimmy Nichols "call me." 

I was in a tribute band for 4 years, it was interesting and the only time I made a living from drumming.  It's not good for the creative process though.  I was never a perfect Ringo but I kept it in his style... and the wig was not my favourite thing at all 🤣.  I loved the music and we did do some more obscure stuff but it didn't played often.  

I'll post a picture for a laugh.

• Rocks! 1

2 minutes ago, David said:

Me at the front.... We played our last gig on NYs day 2000 and then I put down the sticks for a long time.

@David you look more like John than Ringo.  The guy in blue looks like Ringo.  Maybe you should have been a guitarist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, David said:

1624434363253.thumb.jpg.3b241ae04ca0a37caf4c6cc3fb2c67e6.jpg

Me at the front.... We played our last gig on NYs day 2000 and then I put down the sticks for a long time.

Ahhh I love it!  How great is that?

I agree about it being creatively limiting reproducing someone else's work in tribute. But definitely worth a short time for the memory.

Edited by Kirstin
  • Thanks 3

On 1/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, Kirstin said:

Ahhh I love it!  How great is that?

I agree about it being creatively limiting reproducing someone else's work in tribute. But definitely worth a short time for the memory.

4 years doing this was filed with experiences and stories.  Turning up 3-5 nights a week and all the travelling between gigs does teach you a lot.  And I had to sing and drum, 3-4 numbers a night which I had never done before.  If you get the chance to do this then do it, it's a great teacher (not as great as @Stephen 😉). 🙂 

• Like 2