*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

The Future Is Now

Bob

"Every drummer should have a pair if these in their stick bag.  These are the modern essentials for any drummer of the future."

That was in the ad for these battery powered LED glowing drum sticks.  So I ordered a couple pairs from Amazon so as not to be left behind.  They arrived yesterday and I tried them out.  As you can see they are approximately the size of a Vic Firth 5a with large tips that light up when struck on a surface and stay lit for a few seconds or until the next hit.  It was in the middle of the day but the lights were clearly visible.  I thought it was a cool gimmick.

Last night I turned the lights out in the studio and gave them another try.  The faster I played the more the tip light became a solid trail.  This trail was well defined on my right stick but fuzzy on my left stick.  I adjusted my left stroke until it too left a well defined trail.  Then I concentrated on making the light trails the same length on both sticks.  Again some minor adjustments lengthening my left hand stroke to match my right hand.

These sticks have real potential as training tools as the instantaneous feedback from the light trails helps visualize the stroke as one movement rather than a series of movements.  And they are approved for ages 3 and up!

p!IMG_0935.thumb.jpeg.d4b25fc94a297fd5fd7c7fd874cca8c3.jpegIMG_0940.thumb.jpeg.c7e8c66ed4ed60fb6e5829f05f2236fb.jpegIMG_0944.thumb.jpeg.e3352ffd202eb38411c185818f59c820.jpeg

• Like 3