*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Where to begin?

Grant

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 10:44 PM, Gordon said:

Ditto what Tim said, and maybe try to show up to practices if the worship leader is cool with it. It'd be a low key way to meet the whole group and see for yourself the worship leaders expectations on the players and the music.

Another great idea @Gordon! Keep em comin!

• 2 years later...

I know when I started I asked the worship leader for the entire song list he uses when he picks songs for Sunday and in my down time a play along to a few of them to get a feel for all the different songs we sing. It has come in handy a few times because when I am asked to play the drums it usually isn't until Friday afternoon the earliest. Just a good idea to learn all the songs maybe not 100% at first but at least enough you can drag through it on those last minute notice moments.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

This has always been an interesting one...... In my current church, it starts with the leaders wanting to see you invested in both the life of the church and your personal journey. Yes, being able to play helps, but the most important thing to them is "where is your heart at?" Are you plugged into a Core Group (mid week meetings) or do you have people around you to help/pray with you. Are you willing just to serve wherever that may be? 

The other important thing is they want you to show that worship is an important thing for you personally.....After all, no one should be getting up to play if they think it's more about them than the Big Guy 😁

• Rocks! 1

• 11 months later...

I like to hear everyone’s thoughts on being payed versus serving!  Particularly with the worship team! I’ve served for many years; sometimes the only drummer doing every service; conference: special guest services etc. Do you agree or disagree with paying your team? Why or why not?

Edited by David
No response

On 2/8/2022 at 4:30 PM, Keith said:

I know when I started I asked the worship leader for the entire song list he uses when he picks songs for Sunday and in my down time a play along to a few of them to get a feel for all the different songs we sing. It has come in handy a few times because when I am asked to play the drums it usually isn't until Friday afternoon the earliest. Just a good idea to learn all the songs maybe not 100% at first but at least enough you can drag through it on those last minute notice moments.

Preparation or lack thereof in the church is a struggle of mine. Sometimes I feel that the church is not putting in the work to operate with excellence! I have been put in that position many times!! Called at the last minute !

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, David said:

Preparation or lack thereof in the church is a struggle of mine. Sometimes I feel that the church is not putting in the work to operate with excellence! I have been put in that position many times!! Called at the last minute