*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

A Custom / K Sweet

Grant

Does anyone own or have any thoughts on either of these lines of cymbals? Looking at picking up a 23" K Sweet soon and debating on grabbing a 20" K Sweet Crash, or a 20" A Custom Crash. 

Let me know what ya'll think!

I have the A Custom pack. That comes with a 20 inch medium ride. I then bought a 21 A Sweet ride. The Sweet ride is very nice. The thing I noticed for me was it’s not loud enough for what I like to play. If I was able to have some other cymbals that weren’t so bright I’m sure the Sweet would fit right in. Guess I need to buy more cymbals. 😁

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 3:53 PM, Dave said:

I have the A Custom pack. That comes with a 20 inch medium ride. I then bought a 21 A Sweet ride. The Sweet ride is very nice. The thing I noticed for me was it’s not loud enough for what I like to play. If I was able to have some other cymbals that weren’t so bright I’m sure the Sweet would fit right in. Guess I need to buy more cymbals. 😁

Ahhhh nice @Dave. Interesting that the volumes don't necessarily work well together. But hey, any excuse for more cymbals is a good one!

34 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Ahhhh nice @Dave. Interesting that the volumes don't necessarily work well together. But hey, any excuse for more cymbals is a good one!

I did buy a Z custom mega bell ride which is plenty loud. It just doesn’t seem bright enough if that makes sense. It’s not the new brilliant finish one. It’s at least 15 years old. 

42 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

@Joshua I would stay in the K world. The A's are inexpensive (compared to anything with a K on it) but I don't think they sound great recorded. This doesn't always matter if live playing is most of your bag, but the A's really really sound thin and cheap when recorded. One man's opinion. 

Ahh great to hear. I have not had the chance to test the A Custom's under mics (never owned one). However I DEFINITELY see them in the live world way more than in a studio scenario. Thanks for the thoughts bud!

15 hours ago, Dave said:

I did buy a Z custom mega bell ride which is plenty loud. It just doesn’t seem bright enough if that makes sense. It’s not the new brilliant finish one. It’s at least 15 years old. 

Let's see a picture of that thing! Sounds like that bell is HUGE haha

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Joshua said:

Let's see a picture of that thing! Sounds like that bell is HUGE haha

Had to clean it up first before posting a picture. I looked it up and it is from 2004. The other ride is a 20 A Custom medium ride  Seems a little brighter after cleaning it up  👍

91C372C0-1870-4A3A-8E7A-E712A285B922.jpeg

C8D84519-7616-4510-9D10-9017A9B2FDCC.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Joshua said:

WOAH. Now that's a bell. Just listened to the cymbal, very unique sound. I'm sure this is great for metal. @Dave

Yep🤘 That’s all I want to play right now. Thrash is what my goal is. In the meantime I’m trying to get the proper sound for me ear. I don’t have any microphones set up yet so the cymbals need to be bright and loud with the music playing on the in ear monitors. 

Ahhh I totally get ya there. When it comes to cymbals, you usually have to be pretty specific with what you choose to play. You can manipulate the sound of a drum quite a bit, but cymbals are much harder to change. 

• Like 1

@Joshua  I've had no time 😞 I just transitioned from part-time to full-time work, which is great, but everything has gone a bit haywire.  I'm also catching a cold (the stress fairy is paying a visit! 🙄).  I'm really looking forward to things settling down, so I can go to the music stores and hit clangy things and see what I like.  Keep talking cymbals, I'm listening! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...