*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

What do you understand by the term "pocket"?

David

As newbies, it is easy to fall through the cracks with even semi-technical discussions because we don't always have the vocabulary which relates to music in general or to a specific instrument in particular. Terms such as "pocket" are often used and generally understood...   I am often the one to ask the questions which are on others' lips, hence this topic.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

David. This is a GREAT question. There will actually be a lesson released a few weeks from now where Scott Williamson (from the recent member's live stream Q&A) talks about pocket. 

Pocket is really referring to how the groove/fill/solo/song/etc FEELS. And what I mean by "feels" is - does it feel "good"? Does it "groove"? Think about a metronome ticking constant 16th notes - it is metronomically perfect (because it is a metronome haha) - but it doesn't really FEEL GOOD. There is no dynamic contrast, there is no vibe - it is just constant 16th notes. BUT. What if you make the metronome play each downbeat very strong, then make the "ands" 50% quieter, and the "e" and "uh" 75% quieter. NOW it isn't constant 16th notes at the exact same dynamic...it is something with push and pull, and dynamics. Still metronomically perfect, but now it FEELS better. 

So there are many different types of pocket. But it is basically striking that balance of "in time with the music" and "adding a human feel to the groove to give it life". I would say pocket is the unique feel a drummer gives everything they play. Vinnie Colaiuta has a certain pocket that is VERY different than Brian Blade. Travis Barker has a different pocket than Dave Grohl. But they all know how to take a groove and make it feel "good". This is also where music becomes totally subjective because the way that Travis Barker plays "pocket" can be a huge turn off for a lot of people because they think it is "too loud" or something like that. But it is HUMAN and it has a time and a place that fits into the music he plays.

So the short answer is "being in the pocket" is making a groove or fill "feel good" and making it fit in the music you are playing with. The long (and more philosophical answer) is that "pocket" is the unique fingerprint every drummer has, it is the essence of "their sound". 

• Like 5