*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Droppin’ it like it's hot

Julia

I dropped a stick a solid five times in practice yesterday. I drop sticks frequently, so I decided to take a closer look at the issue. 

It's nice to know I don't have a death grip on my sticks, and that the Moeller stroke exercises are keeping my grip nice and loose.  I just haven't found that control point yet. I'm pretty sure it's a beginner thing.

I watched Stephen Clark's YT video on the topic of drumstick dropping, and discovered that it could be my kit setup.  I'm not dropping sticks when I reach for the rack or floor tom; it's always over the snare.  I seem to be dropping the right stick mostly by catching it under the hi-hat and losing control from there.  Sometimes I don't drop the stick, but just get hung up on the hi-hat for a second.  

I like the hi-hat to hang over the snare a bit so my right hand doesn't have to reach out so far.  I moved it out a bit, but upwards at the same time, so we'll see from there.  I'll report future changes in my SDR (Stick Drop Rate) after more practice. 

Does anyone else have stick dropping experiences beyond the normal?  Would love to hear about your experiences.   

I wouldn’t say I drop them more than normal but I have experienced the tip getting hung up on the underside of a cymbal whether it’s the hi hat or a crash/ride. It seems to be on the rebound when it comes up and I’m transitioning from one sound to another. ‘SNAG’...next thing I know I’ve got a helicopter blade in stick form coming right at my head. DUCK!!!! 

I think it’s a timing issue and as practice continues it will get better. 

We we need helmets. 😏

SDR from today's practice:  Just one 🙂  I noticed it wasn't because of catching the stick on the hi-hats.  Nope...the other slick move in my beginner repertoire is hitting the sticks together.  If I had a dollar for each time I did that, and $5 for each time it made me drop a stick, I'd have a top-of-the-line kit and a mansion to play it in. 

• Like 1

I totally get that @Julia! Part of limb independence development is not only controlling your limbs separately, but getting your limbs to then work together again and respect one another. It's of course always a learning process, but super fun!

On 8/6/2019 at 5:42 AM, Julia said:

SDR from today's practice:  Just one 🙂  I noticed it wasn't because of catching the stick on the hi-hats.  Nope...the other slick move in my beginner repertoire is hitting the sticks together.  If I had a dollar for each time I did that, and $5 for each time it made me drop a stick, I'd have a top-of-the-line kit and a mansion to play it in. 

It will be a long trip to the housewarming - please give me some notice!  😂

• Like 1