*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Love It

Grant

What a great club! I love jazz music, however I haven't had time to dive into this style fully yet. I've been focused on rock and country for the last few years. Excited for that next chapter though!

• Like 1

listen to it. @Joshuathat is the most important thing you can do as a jazz musician. learning Jazz is like writing a novel i've been told, you have to read to be able to write. conversely, jazz has to be in your ear in order to play it. that's probably why my jazz needs some work. I haven't listened in a while. I'm no expert. my soloing needs some serious work, which is why I joined a Jazz band, so I have no excuse now but to absorb it and practice the bejeepers out of the drums. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm very new to Jazz having come from a Rock/Metal/Folk/Country/Orchestral background but a lot of the gigs I'm getting asked to do currently have some Jazz parts in which I just can't bend my head around! The current headache is the Crucifixion track from Jesus Christ Superstar which I've clocked at about 272 BPM!! It also has a repeating 5/4 Swing piece so as I've now got time to properly get into Jazz, I thought I would! 

I've been playing along (just the Ride pattern and Hats on 2 & 4 ) to several tracks that I've found both with and without vocals on to try and get a good balance of pieces. Particular favourites are Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga doing The Lady is a Tramp, Robbie Williams doing Aint That a Kick in the Head, Art Blakey Moanin' & Glenn Miller In the Mood....