*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Defective sticks: a happy customer service story

Julia

So in my early days of drumming, when I just had a practice pad and started buying different kinds of drumsticks to play around with, I was really into thin sticks.  My thinking was that I've got small hands, of course I should play with thin drumsticks (I had no idea about how grip was affected by different sizes then). 

So I went to a local music shop and got myself one of the thinnest pairs on the market — Vic Firth's Questlove signature sticks.  They're lovely — .520” diameter, 17” length, white sticks with a black grip making them look like they're wearing tuxedos.  But as I played, the black grip material was melting off onto my hands as if it were licorice.  

I contacted VF customer service by email.  They replied promptly, saying something wasn't right about them — and they sent me a new pair without even expecting me to return the defective ones. The new ones arrived quickly, and they were perfect — no grip melting.

Why was the first pair melty?  Well, if something sits in a shop here in the Arizona desert climate for too long, something is bound to go wonky.  The sticks must have been there for quite a long time.  The sun could have been hitting them at certain times of day in that old dusty shop that mainly served band students.  The poor sticks didn't stand a chance.

Of course, I wasn't one to waste a salvageable pair of sticks.  I taped them, and they were even more awesome.  The tape changed the dynamics of them so that they now have this crazy rebound that helps me be conscious of stick control, and is just plain amusing.

I love that I have the new pair, but I'm saving them for a special occasion, given that they're wearing tuxedos. 

• Like 1

Top:  the defective Questlove sticks that I taped.  Soooo bouncy-good.

Bottom:  the pristine Questloves in all their tuxedoed glory.  I feel like I should use them to play at a wedding. 

These sticks are a bit delicate because of the thin diameter and long taper, so they aren't for thrashers, but great for any playing where you need a light to moderate touch.  

86487F43-F2B4-4437-9886-DFC0ED27D736.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Julia said:

@David  brilliant idea!  You know what though, my last name is Ryder, and it is my dream to have a signature cymbal named for me.... THE RYDE.   😂 

With the income stream from your Signature stick, the world is your oyster.

Ok @David , here you go, my signature stick!  The catalog description will read as follows:

Both versatile and elegant, these sticks showcase Julia's  muted beyond all reason drum set  understated drumming style. It's everything that  Questlove  she desires in a stick.  Their outstanding feature is their bounciness — these babies rebound like someone who just broke up with a celebrity.  Yours for only $79.95 per stick.  

Since you were the brains behind this enterprise, you get a cut of my profits 😉 

1BC26004-3385-4358-A160-7B657C8DBF15.jpeg

2 hours ago, Julia said:

Ok @David , here you go, my signature stick!  The catalog description will read as follows:

Both versatile and elegant, these sticks showcase Julia's  muted beyond all reason drum set  understated drumming style. It's everything that  Questlove  she desires in a stick.  Their outstanding feature is their bounciness — these babies rebound like someone who just broke up with a celebrity.  Yours for only $79.95 per stick.  

Since you were the brains behind this enterprise, you get a cut of my profits 😉 

1BC26004-3385-4358-A160-7B657C8DBF15.jpeg

👊

@Joshua This is the second taping, I haven't tried it enough to tell yet.  The first time I taped them I used Vater's stick tape, which is thin foam.  I loved it until it wore out and tiny black crumbs started falling off it everywhere.  I like how taped sticks get bouncier — that serves no actual purpose for me, but I am amused by it.  I also discovered at some point that thicker sticks helped me get used to traditional grip, so tape on my thin sticks works great.  

This electrical tape is a lot thinner, but seems to be nice and grippy, which will help me with Moeller stroke because when I practice that my sticks are a-flyin’ everywhere 🙄

@Julia, a tape that I tried and has been working well is electrical tape but it is rubber instead of vinyl or plastic. It’s a little more expensive for a roll but it may be worth it. It’s a bit thicker than standard electrical tape, grips extremely well but doesn’t hang up due to friction. Bonus: no tiny black crumbs. 👍🏻

@Robert I will definitely have to look for that.  I can get almost as nerdy about taping sticks as I do about collecting and playing with them.  I think of them as really expensive trading cards 😂  Thicker tape would be nice, because I really liked that Vater tape until it disintegrated on me.  

I wish iridescent mirror tape had grip, because that would look amazing on sticks...oh wow, don't get me started.  

@Robert Ohkayy I suppose black will do 🙄  

I have mentioned this before — I love it when sticks get bouncy from taping them.  That may or may not be a good thing for my playing, but I think it's really cool, I'm like a toddler amused by a really fun toy.  Even cooler:  using bouncy sticks on the super bouncy Silent Stroke mesh heads, tuned tightly to be super, super bouncy. 

I am weird.  My poor family just kind of goes with the flow.