*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Weirdest gig you ever played?

Justin

I got called from musician union sub drumming for old standard four piece band. Stand up bass sax accordion me on drums. Most leaders want to make you can play brushes, Cha Cha waltzes swing etc, this guy want to make sure  I wore a Red Blazer (has to borrow from my dad). Pick us in the van. And first thing he ask “ hey kid you got your Red Blazer. I know standards but these songs wait before my time. If u ever saw the three stooges where the guy says know that song I wrote it. That happen to me,  paid my dues

19 minutes ago, Gerald said:

I got called from musician union sub drumming for old standard four piece band. Stand up bass sax accordion me on drums. Most leaders want to make you can play brushes, Cha Cha waltzes swing etc, this guy want to make sure  I wore a Red Blazer (has to borrow from my dad). Pick us in the van. And first thing he ask “ hey kid you got your Red Blazer. I know standards but these songs wait before my time. If u ever saw the three stooges where the guy says know that song I wrote it. That happen to me,  paid my dues

Red Blazer gig, man I feel your pain. Thanks for sharing your story! Rock on brotha!

Oh boy...hmmmm. I've played a LOT of weird gigs. I would need to think on this one a while. 

Some highlights of one of my more "memorable" gigs: 

1. Our rider requested that any venue provide 4 "able boded strong people" to help the crew load in the trailer. We were playing a church and whoever read the rider took that to mean "a class full of 4-8 year old children"

2. It had been POURING rain the entire weekend and the stage was at the bottom of a grassy hill. So the longer we were on stage the more the stage sunk into the mud

3. Since the hill was a ways from the church there was no "power" to the stage (which is a big deal when you have a PA with line array speakers and 4 subs, back line, and an entire light show). So they provided power from TERRIBLE mobile power generators (which cause one of our guitar amps to blow several tubes)

4. During load out, the bus/trailer got stuck in the mud and we had to have a few people with lifted trucks from the church pull us out

5. Randomly one of me great friends from Nashville happened to be at this show in Indiana so I was able to share this weird gig with, not only my band mates and crew, but also my buddy from Nashville haha