*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

DW 5000

Grant

Joshua, I am all for upgrading equipment does the brain good. LOL! I played DW 5000 double bass pedals for 18 years, very reliable not one failure. If the pedal does not squeak, wobble and make stupid clicking noises it is a good pedal. LOL! Being a pro player like yourself top of the line equipment is a no brainer. I get ask a lot from beginner drummers about equipment. I always ask them the same question how long have you been playing? Are you playing with other players? This will determine my answer. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:31 AM, Joshua said:

I've been using a DW 5000 double and single for years but am thinking of switching to the 9000. What do you guys think??

I guess my question is WHYYY have you been thinking about switching? Sometimes I look at the gear I have and think, "ah I've had that for like 10 years - maybe I should try a new one" and I think every time that has been my reasoning...I haven't enjoyed whatever I purchased. I think if the 5000 is getting the job done, don't replace it. BUT, if you feel like the 5000 is lacking for some reason. I would recommend switching beaters before you buy a new pedal. Changing your beater can revolutionize your relationship with the pedal(s) you have. 

When I go to gigs that have a backline kit, I actually NEVER bring my pedal (unless I'm asked to). I just bring my favorite beater and that puts me right at home on pretty much ANY pedal (unless the pedal is broken and then that just sucks haha). The Vic Kick Felt beater is super compact because of it's shape/design and it is the perfect beater to throw in your stick bag. 

I've been using quite a few beaters over the last few months actually! Zoro, sheep wool beater, Vic Kick wood with the felt covering, things of that nature. I love switching out beaters for sure. I bought the 5000 pedal used in high school, and it has definitely seen better days haha. Unforuatnly, the rust, and wear and tear ave won against this poor pedal and it's just not reliable anymore. Essentially it's just time to retire her to stay home, and time to find a replacement. I've played 9000's in shops and just can't believe how good they feel. So I think I'll give them a try! @Tim B.

23 hours ago, Justin said:

Joshua, I am all for upgrading equipment does the brain good. LOL! I played DW 5000 double bass pedals for 18 years, very reliable not one failure. If the pedal does not squeak, wobble and make stupid clicking noises it is a good pedal. LOL! Being a pro player like yourself top of the line equipment is a no brainer. I get ask a lot from beginner drummers about equipment. I always ask them the same question how long have you been playing? Are you playing with other players? This will determine my answer. 

Exactly. When it comes to gear it's all about the situation you're in. In my opinion, there's a sweet spot when it comes to professionalism, price, reliability, all that kind of stuff. I'm all for buying fun gear, but you'll probably never catch me spending $1,500 on a snare drum. Just can't stomach it. Are you still using that 18 year old pedal?? That's truly awesome and a testament to the quality of DW products for sure. 

23 hours ago, Richard said:

I got the DW 9000 and it’s very smooth and sturdy if have a 5000 you know DW quality.  I have a DW performance kit and I can’t say enough about the sound quality and looks!  

Amen Richard! Love the gear you've been playing man. 

23 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Exactly. When it comes to gear it's all about the situation you're in. In my opinion, there's a sweet spot when it comes to professionalism, price, reliability, all that kind of stuff. I'm all for buying fun gear, but you'll probably never catch me spending $1,500 on a snare drum. Just can't stomach it. Are you still using that 18 year old pedal?? That's truly awesome and a testament to the quality of DW products for sure. 

No not using anymore, most of my drum gear was stolen from a storage facility in 2012. Was a very sad day for me. I am currently playing Iron Cobras. Very solid and responsive pedals.  I get it with the snares. Crazy though, I still find good deals and pick one up here and there. Last snare I purchased was the Bootleg custom shop snare for like 200 bucks, this thing sold for over 550. Love it I use it all the time now.

20 hours ago, Justin said:

No not using anymore, most of my drum gear was stolen from a storage facility in 2012. Was a very sad day for me. I am currently playing Iron Cobras. Very solid and responsive pedals.  I get it with the snares. Crazy though, I still find good deals and pick one up here and there. Last snare I purchased was the Bootleg custom shop snare for like 200 bucks, this thing sold for over 550. Love it I use it all the time now.

What?!?! Everything was stolen?? That's insane dude! I'm so sorry to hear that. Does a storage facility not cover stolen or damaged goods??

2 hours ago, Joshua said:

What?!?! Everything was stolen?? That's insane dude! I'm so sorry to hear that. Does a storage facility not cover stolen or damaged goods??

No they do not. It is in the fine print. DW John Craviotto snare, my 1994 DW Collector series shells, satin oil finish with brass hardware. 7 peace kit. All my K custom cymbals, Meinl 22” Ride. All my drum mics, vocal mics. Said day for me in 2012 estimate of over 9G. I found a similar kit that DW built it is in a drum shop in Maine. However 10G is not in the budget. Here is a picture taken in 2011. I miss my drums for sure.

6642C85F-BC72-4B4C-AEC8-56ABD5EEA0B2.jpeg

Edited by Justin

15 hours ago, Justin said:

No they do not. It is in the fine print. DW John Craviotto snare, my 1994 DW Collector series shells, satin oil finish with brass hardware. 7 peace kit. All my K custom cymbals, Meinl 22” Ride. All my drum mics, vocal mics. Said day for me in 2012 estimate of over 9G. I found a similar kit that DW built it is in a drum shop in Maine. However 10G is not in the budget. Here is a picture taken in 2011. I miss my drums for sure.

6642C85F-BC72-4B4C-AEC8-56ABD5EEA0B2.jpeg

Wow what a bummer. Had no idea they don't offer coverage for something like that.