*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Hello there!

Julia

Before I got my drum kit, I played on a practice pad, and allowed myself to, ahem, collect more pairs of sticks than a kit-less person should reasonably have.  I eventually stopped, but had a long period of time where I was switching pairs, comparing their rebound on the pad, noticing how easy/difficult they were to use on the pad, and just getting a feel for different kinds of sticks.  I felt like this improved my understanding of grip and how to use it effectively.

Wouldn't you know, having a kit changes the way the sticks feel, so it's like starting over.  I am still having fun swapping out pairs and seeing what happens.  

Do you have a go-to pair of sticks, or do you use different ones? What are you hitting your bouncy inanimate surfaces with lately?  I'm currently practicing with a pair of Vic Firth 8XD and will share my thoughts on it in a future post.

What a great club to start Julia! Great idea. 

I've never played the 8XD personally,  but just looked them up, seems like a solid stick! Long, moderately thin, with a quick taper. I feel like this "wood" be great (see what I did there?) for funk or metal!

I've been loving the SD9 stick lately. It's a maple stick, oval tip, long stick with a large diameter. LOVE it. Unfortunately I go through them like hotcakes. I'm looking for another option right now that may not break as much, I will let you know if I can get my hands one one!

• Like 1

@Joshua Thanks for joining! I got so nerdy about sticks when I didn't have a kit, but why stop now that I do? 😉 

Correction:  The sticks are labelled X8D, not 8XD.  They were one of the first pairs I got to play with the pad.  I liked them at first, but soon learned that they are too buzzy on my preferred pad (Vater 6” red).  Now, on the kit, they're much better — no buzz on my muted surfaces, good size for my small hands and more reach.  

I later discovered that larger diameter sticks help me develop my traditional grip, so I stole some from my husband got a few different pairs.  I like the lightness of maple sticks, so I should give the SD9 a try.  

Breaking sticks seems like such a pro thing to do...I have informed friends and family that when I break my first drumstick on the kit, I am going to have a huge party.  Everyone in SDS will, of course, be invited.  

Hey all! I'm ALWAYS playing Vic Firth sticks. 

The two pairs I go between are the 5B barrel tip for most rock/pop/country/CCM and the SD2 "bolero" stick for anything that needs CRAZY cymbal definition, jazz, and lighter stuff. 

I never used to believe in the "different sticks for different genres" but over the years I've found that the tip of a stick can make ALL of the difference in the sound of your playing (most notably cymbals). Because of that, I like to have my bases covered with always have a pair of each of these Vic Firth varieties. 

• Like 1

@Tim B. my first pair is VF, and so is my favorite pair (Jojo Mayer signature sticks).  But I'm curious, so I'll try just about anything that looks interesting to me.  I will have to put off cymbal definition experiments for a while, because I currently have to mute everything to the maximum degree 😕

I can definitely see how different sticks suit different genres, not just because of how they affect my grip and — assertiveness?  I can't find the right word here —  but also because of the physical properties of the sticks.   Even on practice pads/surfaces, I noticed differing effects.

I'm impressed with VF customer service — I bought a pair of sticks that turned out to be defective, and they immediately sent me a replacement pair, no questions asked.  I'll save the full story for a future post, it's kind of interesting.

@Julia Vic Firth is the best of the best when it comes to customer service. I can't speak highly enough of them as a company. Stephen would completely agree. We have both done several projects with them over the years and they are just top-to-bottom an incredible company. 

And yes, the composition of a stick doesn't just change your experience/grip. Sticks with different mass will make your drums and cymbals sound different. Sticks with different tips will change the way your playing sounds. But I try not to get TOO caught up in playing with different sticks. It can be an endless blackhole. 

I would say find 1 or 2 sticks that feel super comfortable to you and get you the desired sound and stick with them a while. I never want to feel like "gear" is how I get my sound. The bulk of your sound/tone/feel should always be generated from our technique and conceptual approach to the drums. I should be able to make ANY snare drum, any cymbal, any tom, sound good if I have proper technique and I've worked on my musicianship. Having the right stick only makes my job easier, but it shouldn't define whether I can get the job done or not. 

If that makes sense.