*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Playing crash and snare in unison

Eyal

Playing open handed is great.

The sticks almost never touch each other.

I am playing a song which has this bar. When I reach the note of 4 the sticks touch each other.

I am trying to play the snare with less power to avoid it.

By the way, when I played cross handed (with a left side setup) this specific note felt much different and easier.

Who says open handed is perfect 🙂

1750212905_Screenshot_20230311_133510_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.4badaa6b6010a187c769896d950d7684.jpg

4 hours ago, Eyal said:

Who says open handed is perfect 🙂

I do! 😎 🥁✌️🏴‍☠️

In all seriousness, though. Other than dynamics independence (playing hard with one hand, soft with the other), I don't understand what you mean by 'avoid touching each other.'

Edited by Kirstin

54 minutes ago, Kirstin said:

Other than dynamics independence (playing hard with one hand, soft with the other)

Exactly.

When playing open handed on the HH and snare there is no dynamics independence problem.

Also when playing the ride which is located the left side of the kit (in between the HH and the crash) there is no dynamics independence problem.

But when playing the crash and the snare the hands are almost crossed then it becomes a problem.

Maybe I need to move the crash a bit more to the left?

Ok I follow what you are saying. What side is your crash on?  My layout is the ride is directly to the left and overlapping my HH and the left hand 18 crash is in front of the HH. Then I have a 16 crash on the right side of the kit where the ride normally is.

Right after you posted I took this upstairs to the kit and played around with it. I didn't have any issues with stick crossing. The first method I used was to play it with the left hand on the HH and crash with right hand on the snare. 

Then I played it with left hand on hats and right hand on the snare on beat 2. Then a left hand drop onto the snare on beat 4 with the right hand on the right hand crash.

Method 2 works but if Method 1 is available, better to do that.

If you have no left hand crash, you have two other options. Crash the edge of the ride (tastefully), or open your hats fully and edge crash the hat on beat 4. 😁 That is what I would do in a pinch with no left hand crash.

• Thanks 1

I have crashes on both sides so I use either hand when I splash, smash or crash.  It is natural now but you do need get used to it so I used to practice to Mr Copelands explosive accented fills.  On some eKits you can crash the ride but I think t requires a 3 zone cymbal.  I don't think it matter which hand is on what as long as it works.

• Like 2

Thank you @Kirstin @Christine and @Davidine 🙂

I have a very basic ekit with a crash on tje left side. The ride is in between the crash and and the HH.

All 3 symbles are 10 inches.

All toms and snare are 8 inches.

My left hand plays all 3 symbles and the right hand is always on the snare.

Playing the left hand on the snare and right hand on the crash sounds interesting, though it is weird for me. But we are here to try new things every day 🙂

Thank you all

• Like 2

15 hours ago, David said:

I have crashes on both sides so I use either hand when I splash, smash or crash.  It is natural now but you do need get used to it so I used to practice to Mr Copelands explosive accented fills.  On some eKits you can crash the ride but I think t requires a 3 zone cymbal.  I don't think it matter which hand is on what as long as it works.

Right.  I tend to forget that not all e-rides have 3 zones like mine did.  Did.  In the past.  Now I have none. 😞 But I have 12 to 14 weeks to work on rudiments! 🥁

There's the key right there. Finding what works. Every day I practice has some exploration built into it. I do what the instructor says to do first, and get that down. Then I explore different ways to accomplish the same thing. Then I make variations around the kit with it.

• Like 1
  • Rocks! 2

2 hours ago, Christine said:

Any cymbal will crash if you hit it hard enough 😉

Yes, they will.

I'm feeling remarkably at one with the universe today. 2023 must have finally let me get my hooks in for the ride. Still playing open handed though...