*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

How low do you go? (hi-hats)

Christine

My e-kit came with one of those terrible disembodied hi-hat pedals and I quickly upgraded it to a Roland VH-10, which is a cylindrical box that sits on a normal hi-hat stand with the cymbal above (see pic) - so it goes up and down 'properly'. That's much nicer but it never seemed to go low enough for me. I have the hi-hat stand as low as I can get it but ideally I'd have it lower if I could - only a few centimetres though. I'm planning to upgrade to the new VH14D e-hi-hats soon (cash permitting) and hope that those are thinner than the cylinder and allow me to lower the hi-hat top.

Playing open-handed means I don't need to go above my snare hand so my left arm wants to be almost perfectly straight onto the top cymbal and that's quite low even with the stool at a good height for the kick pedal.

I haven't seen any issues when playing an a-kit so I'm hoping it's just the 'cylinder' being a nuisance.

How low do you have your high hats?

2023-01-16 17.04.10.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of open handers modify their stands to get them lower.  One of mine I had to pull the top tube out and gently saw about an inch off. Have to be careful because it is easy to compress the tube out of round and then you can't get it back together.

I usually like my HH edge to sit about a cm above the top of the snare hoop. I had to raise the stand up with the new VH-14D. The anti rotation collar extends below the hats and bumps up against the lower tube. So I have it as low as it can go with this particular stand.

Here is a picture of my VH-14D in profile for your research purposes. It's not thinner but is made of two pieces and is 14" in diameter. You can see the anti rotation collar in this picture as well.

HH.jpg

Edited by Kirstin
  • Rocks! 1

Thanks @Kirstin, that's really helpful. I don't fancy sawing bits off my stand as there is a 100% chance I'd make a complete mess of it! But the VH-14D does look lower than my VH10 and there is space underneath for the anti-rotation collar.

@DavidI'd never even heard of a cable hi-hat mount so I'll look into that at some point too, thank you.

4 hours ago, David said:

The alternative is to get a good quality cable HH and mount it where you like at the height you want. 

One that I am now considering because I cannot find anyone who can give me length dimensions on the Luddy Atlas Pro HH stand I covet. I really don't want to buy schmancy and then take a hacksaw to it. (ok for real I have proper tools like a pipe cutter for this). 

20 minutes ago, Kirstin said:

One that I am now considering because I cannot find anyone who can give me length dimensions on the Luddy Atlas Pro HH stand I covet. I really don't want to buy schmancy and then take a hacksaw to it. (ok for real I have proper tools like a pipe cutter for this). 

They are pretty good, I've use pearl and DW ones and I have a broken DW I picked up for no money I really need to fix. I have a pipe cutter but I do love an excuse to use the grinder, going to try making some mini hats at some point 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1