*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Where is your ride?

Christine

One of the biggest problems I had when I got to Basics of Groove was having the ride on the opposite side of the kit, so when switching between hi-hat grooves to ride grooves I basically had to learn everything twice.

I've now moved my ride over to the left (I'm right-handed) just over the hi-hat (which is low, because - open handed 🙂 ) and it works much better.

I do slightly miss having a crash on my left though. But with limited space and an e-kit it's the best I can manage at the moment.

What's everyone else doing here?

• Like 1
  • Rocks! 2

I am right-handed, too but left my ride on the right. I play it with my right hand and switch the snare to the left hand. I’ll probably move it later, but it’s working out fine so far. I am trying to keep everything as flexible as possible as long as I am not crossing my arms. The drums are so much fun to play and so much to learn!

I’m left handed but have always had the ride on my left.  The placement has been tricky because I have to get around the hi-hat but it generally works.

I’ve seen some players with double hi-hats and rides - one on each side but that’s more gear than I’m willing to lug around right now.  

Simon Phillips is a great open handed drummer - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prZZyLHLFbA

as is Billy Cobham - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrhZUjWjpc

When I’m frustrated with my setup, I watch these guys and can get some perspective and inspiration!!  

E-kits are even harder.  I’ve just gone with moving the ride to the left crash position and now I just crash it and use it as a ride which works pretty well.   

• Rocks! 2

For several months I resisted the advice that open handers 'should' move the ride to the left. Mainly because I didn't know better starting out. I was born left handed but was forced to write right handed in school with the result being a high degree of mixed handedness. My naïve self didn't know that swapping from left on the hats to right on the ride is supposed to be problematic. Not until I started hearing about it in lesson videos and I started thinking about it. Then I started second guessing myself.

That said, after swapping ride to the left, then back to the right, then back to the left while still feeling dissatisfied with the results, the light came on at the edge of sleep one morning. I can have two rides! I left the electronic ride on the right and added a low volume ride on the left. It had been collecting dust under the bed and wanted to make frenz with the hi-hats. Now I feel like the universe is mine 😊

Most open handers I see, now that I'm paying attention, seem to all have a ride on the left.  A large number also seem to have doubled up.  So if you are feeling that slight amount of dissatisfaction about not having a ride or ride/crash over on the right, doubling up isn't unusual.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul said:

I’m left handed but have always had the ride on my left.  The placement has been tricky because I have to get around the hi-hat but it generally works.

I’ve seen some players with double hi-hats and rides - one on each side but that’s more gear than I’m willing to lug around right now.  

Simon Phillips is a great open handed drummer - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prZZyLHLFbA

as is Billy Cobham - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrhZUjWjpc

When I’m frustrated with my setup, I watch these guys and can get some perspective and inspiration!!  

E-kits are even harder.  I’ve just gone with moving the ride to the left crash position and now I just crash it and use it as a ride which works pretty well.   

I'll add to the list of inspirational open handers with the ride on the left or near the hats:

Carter Beauford - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvgdWH5z8gY&t=36s

Lenny White - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkezlJVrXas

And Harry Miree. He has a very unconventional setup, but makes some good points in the second half that can be adapted to our situation. He's also funny. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR49qEdONs&t=16s

Edited by Kirstin

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I will definitely check out the videos and see what the pros do. Is it weird if I keep the ride on the right and hit the snare with my left? Does anyone else do that?

I don't think it is weird. I keep a ride on my right side and still use it as often as I use the second ride I now have on my left. 

There may be good practical reasons to maintain a ride on the right, but I'm too inexperienced and still trying to figure this one out for myself. I don't think I've heard any open hander put their foot down about moving the ride. It has always been given as a piece of take it or leave it advice. My main take away from the likes of Carter Beauford or Simon Phillips who have videos on youtube about the subject, is that the biggest strength of the open handed style is that it can promote true ambidexterity.     

Edited by Kirstin

1 hour ago, Kirstin said:

My main take away from the likes of Carter Beauford or Simon Phillips who have videos on youtube about the subject, is that the biggest strength of the open handed style is that it can promote true ambidexterity. 

Jazz players have been playing open handed for over 100 years.  It's actually the way all drummers used to play back in the day.  If I started all over again I would choose open hand.  However I don't think playing open handed promotes ambidexterity any more than playing close (closed) handed.  Very few people have "learned" ambidexterity.

Edited by Bob
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bob said:

Jazz players have been playing open handed for over 100 years.  It's actually the way all drummers used to play back in the day.  If I started all over again I would choose open hand.  However I don't think playing open handed promotes ambidexterity any more than playing close (closed) handed.  Very few people have "learned" ambidexterity.

Yes indeed. Lenny White is one of my favorite open hand jazz players. Carter did an interview where he talked about the history of it and named a few of his influences going back to 1920s or thereabouts. 

Edit:  I went hunting for pictures and it looks like Lenny only has a ride on his left side. If it is a ride.

Edited by Kirstin
  • Like 2

Long time ago I did have a crash/ride over my HH, it was great having a ride on both sides and having the additional ride voice. It makes sense open or crossed because you can still play with the, I might try that again

I'm trying to adopt some open handed technique but I don't think I'll be swapping all the way, too long in my groove, however like Harry Miree I am tempted to try adapting the kit rather than myself.  I saw Bill Bruford with his center HH almost symmetrical kit years ago and loved the idea. 

bruford.jpg.180e0ed5e3f0e5efa213bb5862ff3332.jpg

I'd set mine up like this but I've planning to play a lot more at open mics and sit in where I can so I'm sticking with more trad set up for now. Saying that, if you have a simple setup you do get fairly close to this, the snare and the tom lined up center.

When I learned clocks I forced myself to play the HH (verses) with my left hand and snare with my right switching back to my usual playing on the choruses where he goes to ride, so now playing the same pattern with my left hand on my snare and right on my ride, it's a nice musical exercise.

I think I am going attempt to work through ghost notes 101 switching my hands as I can't play a ghost-note groove with my right hand to save my life.  I see a lot of swearing in my future!

• Rocks! 3