*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Drum fills

Renee

I'm having a real hard time following along when I look at the sheet music. But if I just listen to when the beat is played and by which drum head I''m supposed to hit, I can do it correctly. Also, I have to close my eyes to play. Anyone else have this issue? More practice for me!

• Like 1

So  being able to play something and being able to READ that same thing are two different skills. I would much prefer you be able to hear it and replicate it. Reading is just a tool for us to use to keep expanding our learning. I will learn things by ear many times and then check it/adjust it/correct it by looking at a transcription. I like that you're able to hear and play something though! That means you have sensitive ears that can hear what is happening in the music.

Well, I can read music, but I can usually hear the notes and then the notes get reinforced by reading the notes and then its in my memory. But for the drums, I am hearing/feeling the beats of the different drums and cymbals and when they get struck, but my sticks go flying because I realized I'm not hitting the fills and runs with the correct stick positions. I have a stick holder just in reach that I can quick get a stick when they go flying. I go fishing for my sticks after every practice. So that is why I am kinda stuck on the grooves then fills section. I can play it, but sometimes the next move might be a traffic jam. Also, I have to keep reminding myself that the drummers on all of those songs put A LOT of practice to it and played each one hundreds of times. I can't expect to hit it 100% right out the bag. But I'm close.

Hi Renee. Your struggles sound familiar. Your accuracy hitting the drums will improve as you accumulate practice time. But check for things that may be making you hit sticks more often. Like your position and that of the instruments. Make the moves slow looking at your hands, then faster and check if the trajectory is so close that makes it easy to hit sticks.

Speed is a common cause. On one hand moving our hands faster we are less accurate, and on the other we have less time to plan our moves and those doubts at the last moment rush us. So in each exercise try to start doing it slow enough to feel in complete control, and add speed gradually, not moving on until you are confident again. That is not a beginner thing to do, bit the common trade of practice.