*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Brush Fun - Cheap Vs Vic Firth WB Jazz Brushes

David

I had a lot of fun the other day playing with some cheap brushes and a Kazoo and wondered what's the difference between the generic brushes (black) and the Vic Firth Jazz Brushes (white) I used for a jam sessions I had yesterday.

1651957721126.thumb.jpg.0eaf942f010a947143b34a3589eb84c0.jpg

Physically they are both similar, the handle on the VF's are a tiny bit longer and fan out a little wider when open.  The black ones have nice rubber handles, very tactile, while the VF's are plastic with a textured grip, not as tactile as the black ones but still nice to play.

The playing experience is quite comparable however the VC's do have a bit more 'bounce' and do sound a bit sharper.  The VC's do work better on toms and cymbals, still gentle but a little more defined.  

Playing brushes is a completely different skill set to playing with sticks.   I plan to do Stephens brush playing course now, specially now I'm using them on a few of the numbers I'm working on with my friend, I really likes the way they felt when I was playing 3/4 and 6/8 sections on a couple of the songs, like shakers but much more expressive, still getting used to how they work.

• Like 2