*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Wrapping sticks with stuff: kinesio tape

Julia

I’m not buying sticks lately, and I’ve been sticking (heh) with the same few pairs for practice. 

I have a ganglion cyst in my right wrist, and have kinesio tape on hand (ouch, the puns here) to give my wrist some support now and then. 

Tried the tape on my Promark 7As, and found that it worked well for grip.  

I expected issues, but so far it hasn’t been peeling off, and I don’t play frenetically enough to experience friction from the tape weave.  (I will update you on the friction issue if and when death metal moves up on my drumming priority list.)

You might think since this tape has a cotton-fabric-like texture that slippage would be a problem, but it isn’t so far. In fact, unadorned sticks are more likely to slip out of my hands. 

So my current stick favorites are:

Zildjian maple 7A with green dip 

Zildjian 7A hickory with electrical tape

Promark 7A hickory with the kinesio tape. 

Not to say I don’t like playing with other sticks, but I’m settling into preferences as I find what works. 

Also note that this isn’t just about grip and feel, but also what sounds right with my apartment gear and situation.  My Vic Firth Jojo Mayer sticks, for example, are fabu but  sound like I want to pick some fights with the neighbors 😉 

6A906067-858D-42C1-BD86-5176DF0FC7DC.jpeg

• Like 1