*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Rhythm Changes vs AABA

Jack

I've often wondered about this.  I'll be on a gig and they'll call out a tune in rhythm changes.   Right away I register AABA.  Is that incorrect?   I think the way it works is that Rhythm changes is related to the chord structure but the form is AABA?   Confusing. 

Thats a good Q. Are you playing with a jazz group?  Play with a jazz group for fun but I am not following charts like the rest of the band. I just iisten to the tune if possible before to hear the form and then listen for the changes while playing the tune. Do you read charts?

Well, before COVID, yes. I haven't played out now for about a month.    I played with several ensembles, all jazz.    I do read charts, but for the most part I just use the Real Book which I think is pretty standard.  If the song is not in the Real Book, and there are no drum charts, it's nice to have the bass chart.   Do you have a preference for the style of jazz you play?  Have you ever listened to early recordings of Zach Danzinger? He is one of my favorites.

The answer to the question, I think is; if I'm at a jam and I call out rhythm changes tune, the form will be AABA, but not vice versa.  So, for a drummer I don't think it would make any difference other than you may get a strange look from the bass or pianist, if you call incorrectly.   Honestly, I've never gotten a straight answer on this topic.  

• 1 month later...

Rhythm changes mean it's a tune based on the standard "I've got Rhythm". The form is AABA, but more than that, the chord changes will be the same. Anthropology, Cotton Tail. Salt Peanuts, and many others are contrafacts of "I've Got Rhythm". So whenever they call rhythm changes you know it's a 32 bar AABA form, usually up tempo.

• Like 1

Thanks Rebecca, that clears it up a lot.    I didn't know Salt Peanuts was part of that genre.   I do know some piano, and I have studied theory, but sometimes it's still a little more than foggy. I have an especially hard time understanding the concept of suspended 4ths.     Are you familiar with Mark Levine's book on Jazz Theory?   I've learned all the ii-V-I progression in each key.    I should take up piano as  second instrument.

• Like 1