*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

I've reached stick-quilibrium

Julia

The news I have about sticks is that...nothing is new.  I used to switch pairs and see what that did for my playing -- it's fun, and helped me understand some things.  Now, though, I've been sticking with (oh stop, Julia) the same pair since I got them:  Zildjian 5A green dip maple sticks.   

After noticing that fact in practice today, I spent some time playing with a few other pairs, but didn't like any of them and switched back.

Some observations:

• The maple is quieter on my cymbals, which are muted but can still make a lot of noise. 
  • I dropped the sticks more using the other pairs 🤪  
  • I just like the feel of the grips and maple.
  • I've created a mental association with the grip color -- the bright green seems to say 'practice time' to me. 

I'm sure I could get used to other pairs if I spent the time, but why bother?  Maybe all the time I spent playing with different kinds of sticks was just because I hadn't found the "perfect pair", and these are it.  Who knows?  For now...it ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it.   

Edited by Julia
  • Like 3

Stick choices are so personal! If you ever happen to stumble across a pair that feels right in your hands, than stick with that!

I will say, whenever I've tried to play with painted sticks I end up throwing them all over the stage and at the audience on accident, but maybe I just need to try the green ones haha.

• Like 1

@Grant 😂 It’s a tacky coating, so you might be fine, but if you’re used to natural sticks I can see how these might trip you up and hit a few unsuspecting bystanders!    If you mean painted ones like many VF signature sticks, they do feel kind of slick, I have a pair (Jojo Mayer) but they can slip if my hands are dry.  Ok, it’s not because of dry hands, it’s because I’m a clumsy noob 😉