*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Ride Cymbal for Contemporary Worship

Brian

I am just starting on my journey to build up my set and I have only purchased one cymbal so far. A Meinl Byzance 18" dark crash. I was lucky enough to try it out in a store and I liked the sound and felt like it lends itself well to worship music. 

However, I want to get a ride cymbal that will also work in the church setting and MAN are there thousands of options and opinions everywhere. 

Anyone have a ride that they absolutely love for this purpose? Even just a solid general ride I am all ears! 

Hey @Brian!

One of my favorite cymbals is the 22" K light ride. It does REALLY well with worship music. It's one of Zildjian's thinnest rides and has a great wash, while also having a soft bell and stick definition. 

Also something to keep in mind is what kind of worship music you are playing. There are TONS of styles, therefore each one can be quite different. However if you are playing classic CCM music, that cymbal is very common among church drummers. 

1 minute ago, Joshua said:

Hey @Brian!

One of my favorite cymbals is the 22" K light ride. It does REALLY well with worship music. It's one of Zildjian's thinnest rides and has a great wash, while also having a soft bell and stick definition. 

Also something to keep in mind is what kind of worship music you are playing. There are TONS of styles, therefore each one can be quite different. However if you are playing classic CCM music, that cymbal is very common among church drummers. 

As from our previous conversation I'm a big Rend Collective fan. But also play Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Need to Breathe, etc. Then of course anything a church may ask of me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, Brian said:

As from our previous conversation I'm a big Rend Collective fan. But also play Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Need to Breathe, etc. Then of course anything a church may ask of me. 

@Brian - Definitely the 22" K light ride will work. Or the 24" K light ride, that's my favorite!

• Like 1

You should also check out Heartbeat Cymbals which a lot of CCM drummers use, also, a personal recommendation, Samsun Cymbals are another great company which have excellent prices and discounts for churches as well! Here's my demo of some cymbals we recently got from Samsun

Samsun Cymbals in Video 
18" Absolute Raw Bell Extra Thin Crash

19" Absolute Raw Bell Extra Thin Crash

15" Evo Medium-Thin Hats

(Btw, both are made to order, which means you place the order, turn around time is 5-6 weeks, but absolutely worth it!)

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 2

Hey @Brian - I think it all depends on the kind of drummer you are and what you want out of it. I would say, for worship music being able to have a nice defined ride sound AND be able to lay in and crash it are pretty useful for today's big modern worship sound. The "bell" isn't used much in modern worship, but it is always nice to think about gear on a bigger level that "what do I need right now". If that makes sense. 

I would say the K Sweet rides (21"+) fit really nice into this category. I have a 23" Zildjian K Sweet and it rides, crashes, and also has a nice bell to it. 

I agree with Joshua, the Zildjian K Light stuff also works really well. I play a 22" K Light at one of the churches I play at and it does great. I really only use hats and ride for that set up because the K Light has such a nice crash to it. Although, I think the K Light stuff does lack a nice "bell sound" to it. 

• 4 months later...

Hi @Brian I see it's been awhile since the original post, but it's never too late to talk cymbals, right?  My church has got old time acoustics; plenty of hard surfaces that were made for organ and choir.  That in mind I've become a lot more conscious of playing softer.  My two favorite rides are: a Bosphorus Traditional 22" thin ride (which sounds just killer when played with ProMark nylon-tipped Oak 7As; and a 19"  Zildjian A Armand "Beautiful Baby" ride which has three rivets (and a great bell).  The big plus with the Armand is that when playing brushes if you hit the edge it sets the rivets bouncing and you end up with this long sustained cymbal sound that is amazingly cool.  I'd like to try the Istanbul Mel Lewis ride, the Zildjian Uptown ride and the Zildjian K Custom Organic ride as well, but until my Christmas stocking is stuffed with $50 bills, I'm sticking with what I've got.

So have you found anything yet, or are you still in the hunt?            

Edited by Bruce