*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Open Club  ·  38 members

Sticklers

Buzzword 🐝

Julia

The first pair of drumsticks I owned were Vic Firth 8d.  They are the same diameter as the VF 7a, but longer, with a longer taper.  

Aesthetically, I like the longer length and taper, but of course, aesthetics aren't as important as performance.  I got the sticks before I had a kit, so they did a lot of practice pad duty...and WOW, do they buzz on the pad.  At the time, I didn't know much about drumsticks, so I thought all sticks did that.  Later, I got other sticks, and realized that wasn't the case.  These sticks could go head-to-head with a swarm of yellow jackets.  It didn't bother me too much, but it was a notable thing.

Since my kit is all muted, the sticks buzz there as well.  I've put them aside because I currently prefer to play with shorter sticks, but will come back around to them later when I can play on proper drumheads. 

Have you had experiences with buzzy sticks, whether they're VF 8d or others?  Does it bother you, or otherwise affect your playing?  What causes a stick to buzz?  Post your experiences here. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2019 at 12:32 AM, Julia said:

What causes a stick to buzz?  Post your experiences here.

I've checked for buzzing every day but haven't detected any sound coming from my sticks other than an occasional burp.

• Haha 1

Guest chantale

When a stick is too heavy, like VF's metal, they "buzz"  in my hands. So I know they are not appropriate for me. When they are too light, like 5 or 7, they runs away. But I'm not sure that's the buzz you're talking about.🙂

On 8/3/2022 at 9:48 AM, Stephen said:

Buzz how? In your hand? Buzz on the pad when you hit it? The stick reverbating in your hand (buzzing)?

They reverberate in my hand. It’s bothers me a bit - it takes a while for me to stop noticing it and “get into the zone”. They’re otherwise nice sticks. Could it just be the manufacturing batch the pair happened to come from? 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, chantale said:

When a stick is too heavy, like VF's metal, they "buzz"  in my hands. So I know they are not appropriate for me. When they are too light, like 5 or 7, they runs away. But I'm not sure that's the buzz you're talking about.🙂

I have heavier sticks that don’t buzz. It’s mysterious…maybe these sticks are just possessed by an attention-seeking spirit 👻 

37 minutes ago, Julia said:

They reverberate in my hand. It’s bothers me a bit - it takes a while for me to stop noticing it and “get into the zone”. They’re otherwise nice sticks. Could it just be the manufacturing batch the pair happened to come from? 

It's OK to play with a little buzz.  In fact I did last night.

• Haha 3