*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Favorite Jazz Album?

My intro album and still one of my faves  is Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. It may be a bit too over played by the masses but it was definitely my gateway drug to jazz. The drums are so understated and give so much to the music. 

Moanin’ by Art Blakey is pretty awesome too. So many great ones!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Joshua said:

If you have any suggestions on good albums to listen to as I step into jazz let me know!!

All on Spotify. All incredible. Drummer on each album in parenthesis. 

Miles Davis - Four & More (Tony Williams who I believe is like 17 years old when recording this)

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil (Elvin Jones)

Art Blakey - Moanin' (Art Blakey)

Chick Corea Trio - Trilogy (Brian Blade)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Jimmy Cobb)

• 4 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, Sandra said:

I am late to reply to Tim's list but I am so glad he mentioned Brian Blade on Chick Corea's album Trilogy. Brian has such a unique sound and now that I know it I hear it on other recordings by other artists and its signature Blade!

I will just say it out loud here...I have a severe man crush on Brian Blade's playing. Just one of the best in the game.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:18 PM, Stephen said:

I will just say it out loud here...I have a severe man crush on Brian Blade's playing. Just one of the best in the game.

I love Brian Blade's playing on the Joshua Redman album elastic. Savage stuff. 

• 5 months later...

I've just got into Swing When You're Winning by Robbie Williams, two drummers split the tracks. Ralph Salmins & Harold Jones..... The thing I need to work on now is trying to learn the heads! I've always struggled with learning songs from memory, but can read them from a sheet fine! I think thats gonna be my biggest challenge....getting over my own hangups and trying to really learn the heads before playing them