*NEW* SDS Live Call Calendar ×

Jazz Standards explained....

Mr.

Hi guys n gals,

Just wondering if theres a walk through type of thing of any Jazz Standards where each section is pointed out? I've been really struggling with this and whilst in theory it seems simple, to me as a novice its really knocked me on my butt! I've heard Stephen say that Take the A Train is an AABA piece, and each section is eight bars and I've worked out the A section, but the B......darned if I can find it as theres several 8 bar sections before the A section comes back! Does such a thing exist?? It would really help me in understanding even one song which would mean that I could then take the same idea to another one!

Anyone??? 

P.S. I think you're all amazing......😜

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty obvious...but I remember being perplexed by this exact thing. Below is a link that explains it. If that's not enough, let me know and I'll shoot you a short video explanation as well!

https://www.jazzinamerica.org/LessonPlan/11/2/160#:~:text=In a jazz performance%2C the,through is called a chorus.&text=For each chorus%2C something different,1.

Hi Stephen, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm slowly making sense of what the Plan says, but perhaps I'm missing something as I'm struggling to hear the chord changes after the first 32 bars in any of the recordings I've listened to. IF you have time and wouldn't mind shooting a short explanation of a version of Take the A Train along with a shot of the album cover so I can get the same version, I'd be very appreciative. Jazz is a very different world compared to the Rock/Metal world I grew up in! 

• 4 weeks later...

I GOT IT!!!! 

Ok, it's taken me nearly a month but I now understand the Form of Take the "A" Train! I went through loads of different versions of it until I came across one by the BBC Big Band Orchestra where I was able to hear all of the sections clearly AND was able to sing the melody over the solos which helped me start to understand it..... now playing Study 1 over that WHILST singing the melody is killing me, BUT I UNDERSTAND IT and thats the important thing!

• 3 months later...

Have you looked at John Riley's book on Alan Dawson?  Dawson has some excellent exercises that incorporate the Stone book with song forms.   A-A-B-A, A-B-A-B, A-B-A-C.  The name of the book is "The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary."