The ultimate hi-hats?

Drum Lessons Forums Gear Talk The ultimate hi-hats?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John-Olav
    Participant

I have a great set of Heartbeat cymbals (thin hand hammered Turkish). They work very well for the kind of playing I do.

But I’m still searching for the ultimate pair of hats. After countless hours on YouTube, I think that my favorites are the Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 15”

Other options are:

Agop signature 15”

Meinl Jazz 15”

Zildjian Kerope 15”

I don’t have any music stored nearby, and stores seldom have these on display anyway. So I’d love to hear some recommendations and experiences if you have tried any of these?

Grant
    Keymaster

What is up John-Olav!! I’m a huge Zildjian fan and feel like they have a solid amount of options available (also those Agop signatures are amazing). Stephen actually made a video about TONS fo different hat combinations as well as and talked about the pros and cons to each kind and combo. I added the link below. Let me know what you end up going with and how they sound!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Grant.
    John-Olav
    Participant

Yep, there is something really nice about the sound if Zildjian Ks. I used to have a set when I was young and played the drums but never practiced. I kind of miss them. I think I’ve actually seen that video as well :)

But now my whole setup is centred around the kind of playing I do. I play un-miced. To accommodate singing. So I’m going for warm pleasant sounds. I have thin shelled warm walnut drums.  Real calf head on the snare, Evans calftone on the toms.Also big, thin hand hammered cymbals. I think that most of the Zildjians are just too thick to fit in.

I’m looking for some thin and soft 15s and the Agops look ideal. Do you know if the Keropes are machine hammered?
    Does anybody know what the difference between Agop Signature and Agop 30th line is?

Grant
    Keymaster

I do believe the Kerope’s are machine hammered, but not 100% sure. If your looking for soft and thin, then Agops are DEFINITELY the way to go, those are great for those kind of situations. I do agree, I wish some of the Zildjian’s were thinner…the K light’s are quite thin, but not that crazy thin like some other companies are making now.

I’m actually not too sure, I would assume the hammering is a pretty big difference…but probably the same material makeup in both series. Hopefully someone else on here can shed some light on that!

Justin
    Participant

I am using the K Zildjian 15” Light hats. Preforming very well on stage!

John-Olav
    Participant

I just got a pair of Agop 15» 30th Anniversary hats. They have  deeper hammering than the Agop Signature series. Amazing dark, dry and “cruchy”. Love them. Not the super smooth sound of traditional hats, but really really nice.

Grant
    Keymaster

Oh man, just looked up a video of those hats. They are SO NICE. Congrats man, great cymbals to have in your cymbal bag.

John-Olav
    Participant

I know :)

I’ve been able to test a few 30th Anniversary and Agop Signature cymbals, and they are just awesome! Such an amazing brand of cymbals.

I made a very quick mobile video of the hats and a “clap stack”, not very good audio.

Grant
    Keymaster

Those sound UNREAL even through an iPhone! Also I love that stack. What’s in it???

John-Olav
    Participant

The stack is super cool! It’s called a Clap Stack. It’s 3 flat, slightly bent cymbals made to emulate a clap sound.

Grant
    Keymaster

Sounds great man, I love it.

• Author

John-Olav
    Participant

I have a great set of Heartbeat cymbals (thin hand hammered Turkish). They work very well for the kind of playing I do.

But I’m still searching for the ultimate pair of hats. After countless hours on YouTube, I think that my favorites are the Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 15”

Other options are:

Agop signature 15”

Meinl Jazz 15”

Zildjian Kerope 15”

I don’t have any music stored nearby, and stores seldom have these on display anyway. So I’d love to hear some recommendations and experiences if you have tried any of these?

Grant
    Keymaster

What is up John-Olav!! I’m a huge Zildjian fan and feel like they have a solid amount of options available (also those Agop signatures are amazing). Stephen actually made a video about TONS fo different hat combinations as well as and talked about the pros and cons to each kind and combo. I added the link below. Let me know what you end up going with and how they sound!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Grant.

John-Olav
    Participant

Yep, there is something really nice about the sound if Zildjian Ks. I used to have a set when I was young and played the drums but never practiced. I kind of miss them. I think I’ve actually seen that video as well :)

But now my whole setup is centred around the kind of playing I do. I play un-miced. To accommodate singing. So I’m going for warm pleasant sounds. I have thin shelled warm walnut drums.  Real calf head on the snare, Evans calftone on the toms.Also big, thin hand hammered cymbals. I think that most of the Zildjians are just too thick to fit in.

I’m looking for some thin and soft 15s and the Agops look ideal. Do you know if the Keropes are machine hammered?
    Does anybody know what the difference between Agop Signature and Agop 30th line is?

Grant
    Keymaster

I do believe the Kerope’s are machine hammered, but not 100% sure. If your looking for soft and thin, then Agops are DEFINITELY the way to go, those are great for those kind of situations. I do agree, I wish some of the Zildjian’s were thinner…the K light’s are quite thin, but not that crazy thin like some other companies are making now.

I’m actually not too sure, I would assume the hammering is a pretty big difference…but probably the same material makeup in both series. Hopefully someone else on here can shed some light on that!

Justin
    Participant

I am using the K Zildjian 15” Light hats. Preforming very well on stage!

John-Olav
    Participant

I just got a pair of Agop 15» 30th Anniversary hats. They have  deeper hammering than the Agop Signature series. Amazing dark, dry and “cruchy”. Love them. Not the super smooth sound of traditional hats, but really really nice.

Grant
    Keymaster

Oh man, just looked up a video of those hats. They are SO NICE. Congrats man, great cymbals to have in your cymbal bag.

John-Olav
    Participant

I know :)

I’ve been able to test a few 30th Anniversary and Agop Signature cymbals, and they are just awesome! Such an amazing brand of cymbals.

I made a very quick mobile video of the hats and a “clap stack”, not very good audio.

Grant
    Keymaster

Those sound UNREAL even through an iPhone! Also I love that stack. What’s in it???

John-Olav
    Participant

The stack is super cool! It’s called a Clap Stack. It’s 3 flat, slightly bent cymbals made to emulate a clap sound.

Grant
    Keymaster

Sounds great man, I love it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.