Snare blare

Drum Lessons Forums Gear Talk Snare blare

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leslie
    Participant

My snare is really sounding bad lately and being a new drummer, hopefully someone can help me with a tuning issue. I get all the lugs in tune to each other but the drum only has good sound in the very center, pretty much a small area inside the center circle. Outside of this area I get a twang kind of sound, very annoying. I tried de tuning the head but all I get is a lower twang. Seems you should be able to play the whole surface, and get different sounds, but good sounds depending on what you’re going for. New heads and reso’s in January. Any thoughts to help me?

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey Leslie!!
    It’s great to meet you. I totally get where you’re coming from, I have this problem all the time, it’s super normal. Stephen literally just released a video about this, couldn’t have better timing. I’ve attached it HERE, feel free to take a look and let us know if this helps! I definitely think it will. Talk soon Leslie!

Leslie
    Participant

Hey Joshua, yeah I saw that video but I don’t recall a mention of this annoying sound.

Marcus

Leslie,  can you share with us some more info about your drum?  What is it made out of (maple, steel, brass, birch, some kind of wood, some kind of metal)?  What make and model of heads are on it (Remo Coated Ambassador, Evans G1 Clear etc.)?  What size is the drum 14″, 10″?  Are you tuning it high or low?  What type of rims do you have on it (die cast, triple flanged)?  Are you using any dampening on it (internal muffler, drum dot, moon gel) and if so, where is it placed?  Has this drum ever sounded good to you in the past?  All drums have a sound and that sound works better in some contexts than others.  For example,  listen to the snare drum on the Red Hot Chili Peppers Soul to Squeeze here. That snare works great for that song. It would sound bad in another song and probably is hard on the ears if you are in the same room with it. Also, sometimes I compare my snare drum in the room to the sound of a drum on record. That’s dangerous. Recorded drums have all kinds of studio magic going on to make them sound they way they do. Hopefully, with a little information we can guide you to making that drum sound acceptable to you, but be open to idea that maybe this particular drum just isn’t one you care for. Regardless, this is a great learning opportunity on many fronts. Let’s dig in a little and see what we can discover.

Leslie
    Participant

The snare came with the Pearl Export kit. The batter head is Remo Powerstroke P3 Coated. Reso is Remo Ambassador Snare side. It’s a 14”. If you’re familiar with a tune-bot, the reso measures 219, the batter measures 218. I had dampening on it at one time but as it went out of tune and I retuned it, happy surprise, no dampening needed. I had it sounding decent once but for the most part, not happy. Like you say, I want it to sound like the recording, don’t we all. I have never heard a well tuned snare in person to know what to go for. Kits in stores with no acoustics isn’t a help.

I’m going to loosen all the lugs, top and bottom and start over. If you have any idea, bring ‘em.

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey again Leslie!

I definitely relate to the issue you are having. There have been many times where no matter what I do to a snare drum, I can never get the tuning where I want it. You did mention that where you hit the snare drum has been affecting the sound you are getting, which does not come as a surprise to me. Some snare drums just sound best either right smack dab in the middle, or just a an inch in any direction from the center.

If I ever accidentally hit the snare drum anywhere but the middle of the head I usually get a pretty weak or wonky sound. This sounds like it may be one of those scenarios where you have to love on the snare for a while util you can get the sound you’re going for. Also, not to push you to buy another product, but I like to use snare-weights whenever I need to change the sound of my snare and don’t have the opportunity to completely retune the drum. I attached a video of the a demo of them. Let me know what you think!

LINK

Marcus

I had an Export kit back in the 1990s. It had a 6.5” deep steel snare. I used a Remo coated cs reverse dot head. It gave a great sound in the center. To keep the honkiness and twang in check, I put a remo zero ring on it (they call them REMOS now). I tuned the drum a little low, but not so low that it sounded flappy or had bad stick response. I wanted that big snare sound. It recorded well and worked well live. Anyway, if this sounds similar to your drum, maybe try that combo of head and ring control and see if you like it. By the way, that drum sounded horrible with other heads etc.

• Author

Leslie
    Participant

My snare is really sounding bad lately and being a new drummer, hopefully someone can help me with a tuning issue. I get all the lugs in tune to each other but the drum only has good sound in the very center, pretty much a small area inside the center circle. Outside of this area I get a twang kind of sound, very annoying. I tried de tuning the head but all I get is a lower twang. Seems you should be able to play the whole surface, and get different sounds, but good sounds depending on what you’re going for. New heads and reso’s in January. Any thoughts to help me?

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey Leslie!!
    It’s great to meet you. I totally get where you’re coming from, I have this problem all the time, it’s super normal. Stephen literally just released a video about this, couldn’t have better timing. I’ve attached it HERE, feel free to take a look and let us know if this helps! I definitely think it will. Talk soon Leslie!

Leslie
    Participant

Hey Joshua, yeah I saw that video but I don’t recall a mention of this annoying sound.

Marcus

Leslie,  can you share with us some more info about your drum?  What is it made out of (maple, steel, brass, birch, some kind of wood, some kind of metal)?  What make and model of heads are on it (Remo Coated Ambassador, Evans G1 Clear etc.)?  What size is the drum 14″, 10″?  Are you tuning it high or low?  What type of rims do you have on it (die cast, triple flanged)?  Are you using any dampening on it (internal muffler, drum dot, moon gel) and if so, where is it placed?  Has this drum ever sounded good to you in the past?  All drums have a sound and that sound works better in some contexts than others.  For example,  listen to the snare drum on the Red Hot Chili Peppers Soul to Squeeze here. That snare works great for that song. It would sound bad in another song and probably is hard on the ears if you are in the same room with it. Also, sometimes I compare my snare drum in the room to the sound of a drum on record. That’s dangerous. Recorded drums have all kinds of studio magic going on to make them sound they way they do. Hopefully, with a little information we can guide you to making that drum sound acceptable to you, but be open to idea that maybe this particular drum just isn’t one you care for. Regardless, this is a great learning opportunity on many fronts. Let’s dig in a little and see what we can discover.

Leslie
    Participant

The snare came with the Pearl Export kit. The batter head is Remo Powerstroke P3 Coated. Reso is Remo Ambassador Snare side. It’s a 14”. If you’re familiar with a tune-bot, the reso measures 219, the batter measures 218. I had dampening on it at one time but as it went out of tune and I retuned it, happy surprise, no dampening needed. I had it sounding decent once but for the most part, not happy. Like you say, I want it to sound like the recording, don’t we all. I have never heard a well tuned snare in person to know what to go for. Kits in stores with no acoustics isn’t a help.

I’m going to loosen all the lugs, top and bottom and start over. If you have any idea, bring ‘em.

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey again Leslie!

I definitely relate to the issue you are having. There have been many times where no matter what I do to a snare drum, I can never get the tuning where I want it. You did mention that where you hit the snare drum has been affecting the sound you are getting, which does not come as a surprise to me. Some snare drums just sound best either right smack dab in the middle, or just a an inch in any direction from the center.

If I ever accidentally hit the snare drum anywhere but the middle of the head I usually get a pretty weak or wonky sound. This sounds like it may be one of those scenarios where you have to love on the snare for a while util you can get the sound you’re going for. Also, not to push you to buy another product, but I like to use snare-weights whenever I need to change the sound of my snare and don’t have the opportunity to completely retune the drum. I attached a video of the a demo of them. Let me know what you think!

LINK

Marcus

I had an Export kit back in the 1990s. It had a 6.5” deep steel snare. I used a Remo coated cs reverse dot head. It gave a great sound in the center. To keep the honkiness and twang in check, I put a remo zero ring on it (they call them REMOS now). I tuned the drum a little low, but not so low that it sounded flappy or had bad stick response. I wanted that big snare sound. It recorded well and worked well live. Anyway, if this sounds similar to your drum, maybe try that combo of head and ring control and see if you like it. By the way, that drum sounded horrible with other heads etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.