Practice Pad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

I’m a beginner, and I have mesh head electronic drums so I don’t drive my wife nuts while I learn. I started watching the hand technique lessons, and I see Stephen using a pad. Is a pad beneficial if I have electronic drums? I can practice with headphones if it’s just a noise issue. I did notice that I don’t get the rebound off my snare like he does on the pad. Please advise. Thank you

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mark.
    John
    Participant

In my experience, most practice pads have more rebound than snare drums. Although there are practice pads being made now that don’t offer as much rebound and give you more of a “workout”, i.e. Reflexx. I do like that practice pads offer a sense of comparability, meaning that what you are feeling and hearing is similar to what your instructor and others are feeling and healing. If your interested in a practice pad, check out the Evans “Real Feel” practice pads. I believe the 2 sided one is around $35. You can lay it directly on your snare drum. My constant goal is develop better technique and be able to play comfortably on various surfaces that offer differing levels of rebound…snare vs floor tom.

Mark
    Participant

Thank you Davis. So it sounds like the pad has more benefits than just practicing at a lower volume. I appreciate the advice

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mark.
    Marcus

Mark,  I think when doing a lot of rudiment/snare work etc. a pad is very useful.  I think it is easier to evaluate note spacing, timing and articulation because the resonance of the drum is removed.  It is easier to hear the metronome without having to wear headphones or ear buds.   The  pad is also portable.  There are a ton of different pads out there and they all feel slightly different.  I have a two-sided real feel, but I also use an aquarian super pad.

Mark
    Participant

Thank you Marcus. I just ordered the 12”  double sided Real Feel pad. Looking forward to using it

Grant
    Keymaster

Great choice Mark! Real Feel pads are awesome and the 12″ is definitely something you can take with you on the go! Let us know how you like it bud!

Sean
    Participant

Hey Mark hope you don’t mind me jumping in here but I also have the Evans Real Feel 12″ and it’s just amazing for Rudimental Work and warming up before playing. Had mine for about 4-5 yrs and it’s still going strong after being regularly muller’d or should I say Moeller’d?

• Author

Mark
    Participant

I’m a beginner, and I have mesh head electronic drums so I don’t drive my wife nuts while I learn. I started watching the hand technique lessons, and I see Stephen using a pad. Is a pad beneficial if I have electronic drums? I can practice with headphones if it’s just a noise issue. I did notice that I don’t get the rebound off my snare like he does on the pad. Please advise. Thank you

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mark.

John
    Participant

In my experience, most practice pads have more rebound than snare drums. Although there are practice pads being made now that don’t offer as much rebound and give you more of a “workout”, i.e. Reflexx. I do like that practice pads offer a sense of comparability, meaning that what you are feeling and hearing is similar to what your instructor and others are feeling and healing. If your interested in a practice pad, check out the Evans “Real Feel” practice pads. I believe the 2 sided one is around $35. You can lay it directly on your snare drum. My constant goal is develop better technique and be able to play comfortably on various surfaces that offer differing levels of rebound…snare vs floor tom.

Mark
    Participant

Thank you Davis. So it sounds like the pad has more benefits than just practicing at a lower volume. I appreciate the advice

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mark.

Marcus

Mark,  I think when doing a lot of rudiment/snare work etc. a pad is very useful.  I think it is easier to evaluate note spacing, timing and articulation because the resonance of the drum is removed.  It is easier to hear the metronome without having to wear headphones or ear buds.   The  pad is also portable.  There are a ton of different pads out there and they all feel slightly different.  I have a two-sided real feel, but I also use an aquarian super pad.

Mark
    Participant

Thank you Marcus. I just ordered the 12”  double sided Real Feel pad. Looking forward to using it

Grant
    Keymaster

Great choice Mark! Real Feel pads are awesome and the 12″ is definitely something you can take with you on the go! Let us know how you like it bud!

Sean
    Participant

Hey Mark hope you don’t mind me jumping in here but I also have the Evans Real Feel 12″ and it’s just amazing for Rudimental Work and warming up before playing. Had mine for about 4-5 yrs and it’s still going strong after being regularly muller’d or should I say Moeller’d?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.