Open Handed

Drum Lessons Forums Share Your Wins Open Handed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Klemens
    Participant

Just wanted to share the story of my open handed playing.

When I first started drumming, I naturally started playing open handed. Played for a while, stopped playing, started again… and always played open handed. Did not get me far.

Then at some point last year I tried a traditional setup and played crossing my arms: The light went on immediately. Altough my left hand is faster and more accurate, I still have to lead with my right hand: It just feels right, I feel the groove more intense, I feel the music and just play better.

I came to the conclussion that open handed is not for me, it`s not just as simple as practicing a little more or learning new ways: after 1 week with a traditional setup I played better than after many months of playing open handed.

Anybody had similar experience?

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey Klemense! That makes total sense, sometimes you just have to follow what your body is naturally telling you to do. I would love to play open handed, and definitely practice it often to get more comfortable. But I’m not quite there yet. It sounds like you may be able to dabble in the traditional style and open handed!

Dave
    Participant

Good on you for keeping up the open handed playing for so long! It’s a good thing to have practiced, and it’ll give you more options of moving around the kit even when you’re playing primarily in traditional style.  I would still practice a couple open handed grooves in between your regular practice sessions to keep the skill warm.  Many experienced drummers buried under 10-years+ of cross-only playing wish they had developed some muscle memory to play open handed earlier on (myself included!)

Grant
    Keymaster

I totally agree with Dave. I wish I was confident in both open handed and traditional playing. Guys like Ilan Rubin blow my mind with their open handed playing, you can get some awesome tom grooves out of that ability as well.

Katharina
    Participant

Wow, that’s really interesting! I’m left-handed and I played in traditional style for while when I started playing. But I wasn’t really happy with the setup, it just didn’t feel right playing with the left foot on the kick drum (and I got really tired of moving the set around at gigs where more than one band played). So my teacher recommended to play open handed and that was just the best thing to do! I’m still playing open handed, it feels just naturally for me.

Grant
    Keymaster

That’s awesome Katharina! And good on your teacher for the suggestion, it’s so much more practical for you as a player to just play open handed instead of having to switch the kit around entirely every-time you play a show. I’m glad to hear it works for you!

• Author

Klemens
    Participant

Just wanted to share the story of my open handed playing.

When I first started drumming, I naturally started playing open handed. Played for a while, stopped playing, started again… and always played open handed. Did not get me far.

Then at some point last year I tried a traditional setup and played crossing my arms: The light went on immediately. Altough my left hand is faster and more accurate, I still have to lead with my right hand: It just feels right, I feel the groove more intense, I feel the music and just play better.

I came to the conclussion that open handed is not for me, it`s not just as simple as practicing a little more or learning new ways: after 1 week with a traditional setup I played better than after many months of playing open handed.

Anybody had similar experience?

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey Klemense! That makes total sense, sometimes you just have to follow what your body is naturally telling you to do. I would love to play open handed, and definitely practice it often to get more comfortable. But I’m not quite there yet. It sounds like you may be able to dabble in the traditional style and open handed!

Dave
    Participant

Good on you for keeping up the open handed playing for so long! It’s a good thing to have practiced, and it’ll give you more options of moving around the kit even when you’re playing primarily in traditional style.  I would still practice a couple open handed grooves in between your regular practice sessions to keep the skill warm.  Many experienced drummers buried under 10-years+ of cross-only playing wish they had developed some muscle memory to play open handed earlier on (myself included!)

Grant
    Keymaster

I totally agree with Dave. I wish I was confident in both open handed and traditional playing. Guys like Ilan Rubin blow my mind with their open handed playing, you can get some awesome tom grooves out of that ability as well.

Katharina
    Participant

Wow, that’s really interesting! I’m left-handed and I played in traditional style for while when I started playing. But I wasn’t really happy with the setup, it just didn’t feel right playing with the left foot on the kick drum (and I got really tired of moving the set around at gigs where more than one band played). So my teacher recommended to play open handed and that was just the best thing to do! I’m still playing open handed, it feels just naturally for me.

Grant
    Keymaster

That’s awesome Katharina! And good on your teacher for the suggestion, it’s so much more practical for you as a player to just play open handed instead of having to switch the kit around entirely every-time you play a show. I’m glad to hear it works for you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.