No sound with DAW

Drum Lessons Forums Share Your Wins No sound with DAW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Justin
    Participant

Holy Cow! Started new Project, need to share files with other musicians. Research , Digital Audio Workstations, interfaces, mics plugins, where does it end? Guess what friends it never ends, so made important decisions on what do I need?  Thoughts…want to provide professional presentations with file sharing. Good sound quality but not to much effects. I went with Reaper for my DAW, U- Phoria UMC 1820 interface, Steven Slate 5 Plugin. I already owned the MacBook Pro and Roland Vdrums.  Here we go, loaded software, purchased licenses. Mounted gear, wires wires and more wires! LOL. My wife says I have a thing with wires yes they are everywhere in my studio. Sooo a few hours later….software loaded.. checking interface settings….headphones on what NO SOUND! Urrrrrg.  Finally gave up for the evening, next morning having coffee. Checking software file paths, had the interface recognized, but did not adjust the midi output source. I set the source to the interface for input/output. Still no sound coming to headphones from interface. Found a button on the headphone out pushed it hey sound! Excited, loaded instrument to track plugin had no sound. Many software companies use a company called iLoK to control software users and downloads. I had the license on the computer but it was not activated. Activated software license with plug hey we’ve sound!. So now it is off to races next few weeks of tweaking and recording. I hope to share a few videos with you guys with the new sound tracks attached should be pretty cool once my hair grows back.

Justin

Stephen
    Keymaster

I just sent this to Tim so he should respond shortly. He’s the man with the recording knowledge

Hey Justin!

Yes…recording audio/video is a WHOLE NEW WORLD on top of drums. Sounds like you are getting things figured out though.

If you have any questions, want me to take a listen to some of the mixes, or whatever else just post here (or email me at tim@stephensdrumshed.wcsitepreview.com). Happy to help where I can!

Oh, and remember – it will take time to get happy with your sounds. I got into my studio a little over two years ago and I feel like every couple of weeks I learn a “life changing” secret to getting my mix better. And then I listen back to a mix from 5 weeks ago and think, “what on Earth was I doing? This sounds terrible.” haha. That is just the nature of the beast. So don’t get discouraged, we are all going through the same thing!

Justin
    Participant

Thanks Stephen and Tim you guys are the best! Tim I will send you an email, much appreciation to both of you.

• Author

Justin
    Participant

Holy Cow! Started new Project, need to share files with other musicians. Research , Digital Audio Workstations, interfaces, mics plugins, where does it end? Guess what friends it never ends, so made important decisions on what do I need?  Thoughts…want to provide professional presentations with file sharing. Good sound quality but not to much effects. I went with Reaper for my DAW, U- Phoria UMC 1820 interface, Steven Slate 5 Plugin. I already owned the MacBook Pro and Roland Vdrums.  Here we go, loaded software, purchased licenses. Mounted gear, wires wires and more wires! LOL. My wife says I have a thing with wires yes they are everywhere in my studio. Sooo a few hours later….software loaded.. checking interface settings….headphones on what NO SOUND! Urrrrrg.  Finally gave up for the evening, next morning having coffee. Checking software file paths, had the interface recognized, but did not adjust the midi output source. I set the source to the interface for input/output. Still no sound coming to headphones from interface. Found a button on the headphone out pushed it hey sound! Excited, loaded instrument to track plugin had no sound. Many software companies use a company called iLoK to control software users and downloads. I had the license on the computer but it was not activated. Activated software license with plug hey we’ve sound!. So now it is off to races next few weeks of tweaking and recording. I hope to share a few videos with you guys with the new sound tracks attached should be pretty cool once my hair grows back.

Justin

Stephen
    Keymaster

I just sent this to Tim so he should respond shortly. He’s the man with the recording knowledge

Tim B. – SDS Staff Teacher
    Keymaster

Hey Justin!

Yes…recording audio/video is a WHOLE NEW WORLD on top of drums. Sounds like you are getting things figured out though.

If you have any questions, want me to take a listen to some of the mixes, or whatever else just post here (or email me at tim@stephensdrumshed.wcsitepreview.com). Happy to help where I can!

Oh, and remember – it will take time to get happy with your sounds. I got into my studio a little over two years ago and I feel like every couple of weeks I learn a “life changing” secret to getting my mix better. And then I listen back to a mix from 5 weeks ago and think, “what on Earth was I doing? This sounds terrible.” haha. That is just the nature of the beast. So don’t get discouraged, we are all going through the same thing!

Justin
    Participant

Thanks Stephen and Tim you guys are the best! Tim I will send you an email, much appreciation to both of you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.