New to the SDS Members Area

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself New to the SDS Members Area

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dylan
    Participant

Hey all, new here, and a still getting up to speed on the Members Area.  Been playing since I was 14, and I’ll be 50 later this year.  I’m no math expert, but that’s a long time to suck.  I never learned how to play properly, never learned rudiments or the fundamentals of hand and foot techniques.  I just always just muscled through my playing always on the edge of falling apart when playing with others.  Last time I played live was when I was in a band that played for tips and drinks on Sundays in Tombstone, AZ.  I miss the regular playing and practice with others, and would love to get to the level I’ve always wanted to be, and maybe play live again.  I have an older TAMA rack set of concert toms.  One of my goals in the next 6 months is to buy a new kit.  I work as the Chief Pilot and Sales Rep for a local aviation parts company, but worked a number of years for FlightSafety as a Flight, Ground and Simulator Instructor so it was Stephen’s teaching style that I was first impressed with, and made me want to join and learn as much as I can while I can.  You can tell that Stephen loves to teach, and that’s really more important than the topic being taught.  I look forward to learning and developing my playing, interacting here as much as I can, and hope to one day call myself a musician.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Grant.
    Grant
    Keymaster

What is up Dylan!! Welcome to the shed my friend, we are so happy to have you with us! First off you are correct, Stephen absolutely LOVES to teach. He has a gift for sharing complex ideas, breaking them down and making them understandable. Also, I love the kit! Looks great! I’m a huge fan of the Remo Controlled Sound kick heads, they sound awesome all the time, good choice.

Very cool to hear that you are a pilot!! I am terrified of heights, but absolutely love flying (doesn’t make any sense I know). If you have any questions at all or have any technical difficulties please don’t hesitate to reach out, I am always here to help. Feel free to shoot me an email if you ever need anything: help@stephensdrumshed.wcsitepreview.com. Also! Feel free to join our SDS Facebook group! Student’s really connect on there and have a chance to share what they are working on with one another. Welcome to the shed Dylan!!

CLICK HERE

Dylan
    Participant

Thanks Joshua.  Appreciate the warm welcome.  You might be surprised to learn that 90% of Pilots are scared of heights too…myself included.  I’m ok at 40,000′, but put me 15′ up on a ladder, and I pee myself.  LOL.

Marcus

Hey Dylan!  Welcome to the shed.  Do you have any idea what kit you are hoping to get?

Grant
    Keymaster

That’s actually super interesting to hear!! Heights has always been something I wish I could overcome but just never could. Also, what kit are you looking to get? Are you sticking with Tama?

Dylan
    Participant

I absolutely am sticking with TAMA. Had a Ludwig Silver Sparkle for my first kit way back when I had hair. But I’ve seen some really good looking kits that are quite reasonable. I actually have this one sitting in my Amazon cart waiting for me to pull the trigger. It’s a Superstar Classic 7 piece. But the desktop to my computer has what I’d really like. Just love the rich dark finish.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Grant.
    Grant
    Keymaster

My goodness, both of those kits are beautiful, but one definitely breaks the bank much more than the other haha. Great choice on buying through amazon as well, they have great programs and rewards, so I usually buy gear through Amazon and Sweetwater as well.

Are you looking to do the 8, 10 , 12, 14, 16 22 configuration for the toms and kick?

Dylan
    Participant

Yeah, I really like that setup and having the extra smaller tom.  The bass is a little smaller than the 24 I have now, but is a heck of a lot deeper.  It’s a shells only kit on Amazon, but I think it’s less than 900.00, which seems really reasonable.  Especially when compared to the Bubinga and Maple kits that are 3500-5000.  I was hoping Stephen would have some kind of TAMA sponsored drum giveaway, with only one entrant……LOL.

Grant
    Keymaster

Hahahahah don’t we all!! Yes $900 for a brand new kit is a great price in my opinion. Let us know when you pull the trigger!

• Author

Dylan
    Participant

Hey all, new here, and a still getting up to speed on the Members Area.  Been playing since I was 14, and I’ll be 50 later this year.  I’m no math expert, but that’s a long time to suck.  I never learned how to play properly, never learned rudiments or the fundamentals of hand and foot techniques.  I just always just muscled through my playing always on the edge of falling apart when playing with others.  Last time I played live was when I was in a band that played for tips and drinks on Sundays in Tombstone, AZ.  I miss the regular playing and practice with others, and would love to get to the level I’ve always wanted to be, and maybe play live again.  I have an older TAMA rack set of concert toms.  One of my goals in the next 6 months is to buy a new kit.  I work as the Chief Pilot and Sales Rep for a local aviation parts company, but worked a number of years for FlightSafety as a Flight, Ground and Simulator Instructor so it was Stephen’s teaching style that I was first impressed with, and made me want to join and learn as much as I can while I can.  You can tell that Stephen loves to teach, and that’s really more important than the topic being taught.  I look forward to learning and developing my playing, interacting here as much as I can, and hope to one day call myself a musician.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Grant.

Grant
    Keymaster

What is up Dylan!! Welcome to the shed my friend, we are so happy to have you with us! First off you are correct, Stephen absolutely LOVES to teach. He has a gift for sharing complex ideas, breaking them down and making them understandable. Also, I love the kit! Looks great! I’m a huge fan of the Remo Controlled Sound kick heads, they sound awesome all the time, good choice.

Very cool to hear that you are a pilot!! I am terrified of heights, but absolutely love flying (doesn’t make any sense I know). If you have any questions at all or have any technical difficulties please don’t hesitate to reach out, I am always here to help. Feel free to shoot me an email if you ever need anything: help@stephensdrumshed.wcsitepreview.com. Also! Feel free to join our SDS Facebook group! Student’s really connect on there and have a chance to share what they are working on with one another. Welcome to the shed Dylan!!

CLICK HERE

Dylan
    Participant

Thanks Joshua.  Appreciate the warm welcome.  You might be surprised to learn that 90% of Pilots are scared of heights too…myself included.  I’m ok at 40,000′, but put me 15′ up on a ladder, and I pee myself.  LOL.

Marcus

Hey Dylan!  Welcome to the shed.  Do you have any idea what kit you are hoping to get?

Grant
    Keymaster

That’s actually super interesting to hear!! Heights has always been something I wish I could overcome but just never could. Also, what kit are you looking to get? Are you sticking with Tama?

Dylan
    Participant

I absolutely am sticking with TAMA. Had a Ludwig Silver Sparkle for my first kit way back when I had hair. But I’ve seen some really good looking kits that are quite reasonable. I actually have this one sitting in my Amazon cart waiting for me to pull the trigger. It’s a Superstar Classic 7 piece. But the desktop to my computer has what I’d really like. Just love the rich dark finish.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Grant.

Grant
    Keymaster

My goodness, both of those kits are beautiful, but one definitely breaks the bank much more than the other haha. Great choice on buying through amazon as well, they have great programs and rewards, so I usually buy gear through Amazon and Sweetwater as well.

Are you looking to do the 8, 10 , 12, 14, 16 22 configuration for the toms and kick?

Dylan
    Participant

Yeah, I really like that setup and having the extra smaller tom.  The bass is a little smaller than the 24 I have now, but is a heck of a lot deeper.  It’s a shells only kit on Amazon, but I think it’s less than 900.00, which seems really reasonable.  Especially when compared to the Bubinga and Maple kits that are 3500-5000.  I was hoping Stephen would have some kind of TAMA sponsored drum giveaway, with only one entrant……LOL.

Grant
    Keymaster

Hahahahah don’t we all!! Yes $900 for a brand new kit is a great price in my opinion. Let us know when you pull the trigger!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.