New Drummer

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself New Drummer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

Hello! I have been drumming for approximately 1 month! For years I would talk about learning, my husband finally talked me into it :)  Got a used kit of Craigslist and just trying to learn. Wanted something usable but cheap to start off with learning and seeing if I can get the hang of it. LOVE Stephen’s way of teaching so I decided to sign up. Live in rural Idaho so in person drum teachers are rare.

Kyle
    Participant

Welcome Stephanie to the world of drumming! Its very rewarding and fun once you start to notice little victories, and learning new rudiments, patterns, ect. Can’t wait to hear your progress!

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Stephanie I love your husband! Good man right there to encourage you lol. Love it

So glad to have you be a part of the DBD community Stephanie. Can’t wait to hear about your progress.

And smart move for buying used on CL. I have ALWAYS bought used drums and gotten killer deals on killer gear.

Richard
    Participant

Hi Stephanie,

Glad you decided to take the plunge into the pleasures of hitting things with twigs! :) Hope to hear and see how you’re getting on with your progress. All the best and as Stephen would say, GO PRACTICE!

Ric

P.s. Is that the Stig from Top Gear you’ve got as your profile pic?? :)

Stephanie
    Participant

Ric! LOL! “Hitting things with twigs” I love it! I recently saw an interview with Barry Kerch from Shinedown, he was trying to downplay his part. He said “Oh I just count and hit things”. Very excited to be learning!

Yes, that is the Stig :) Like the old Top Gear with Hammond, May, & Clarkson but also my husband and I also race cars at our local drag strip. So music and cars eat up a lot of our time :)

Richard
    Participant

Haha, yeah I think a lot of drummers play down what they actually do. I reckon it’s to make the rest of the band not feel inferior to the drummers greatness! :)

What lesson tracks are you working on at the minute? How are you finding the Shed so far?

Old TG is brilliant, some of the episodes are absolutely hilarious, I love the one where they’re doing the road trip across Africa to find the beginning of the river Nile – genius!

And hats off to Mr Stephanie for talking you into playing drums AND racing cars with you – AWESOME! :)

Stephanie
    Participant

I just started Beginner Track 2 last week. So working on the Moeller stroke. Finding muscles in my shoulder that I didn’t know where there :) I am also working on learning Getaway car by Audioslave. It’s fairly slow which at this point in my learning I need. I found a dumbed down version of it which I have learned and gotten the basics. Now I found more accurate sheet music and want to dive into that. When listening to the song or playing along with it I am noticing parts that all sounded the same before aren’t! I am able to hear subtle differences, so even though I may not yet be able to play it more accurately I at least am learning the difference.

LOVE the Shed! I really appreciate how Stephen not only explains what to do, but the reason behind it, and practical application.

TG had a couple of Africa ones that were great OLIVER!! One of my favs.

Yes! My hubby is the best! Though I think it’s partially because he likes to tell people that his wife races cars. Now that I am learning drums he gets to hear all about drum technique and what I’m learning. Thankfully he is equally into music and drums as I am so he’s not bored :)

Kyle
    Participant

Ooh, Audioslave Getaway Car! What a good choice! Brad is a good drummer. If your up for another drummer who grooves very well look up some of Soundgardens work by Matt Cameron, his drumming is splendid.

Richard
    Participant

Good call, Kyle! Matt Cameron is an awesome drummer, always plays for the song rather than doing needless chops all over the place. He’s commanding on King Animal, really solid and a great feel to all the songs.

• Author

Stephanie
    Participant

Hello! I have been drumming for approximately 1 month! For years I would talk about learning, my husband finally talked me into it :)  Got a used kit of Craigslist and just trying to learn. Wanted something usable but cheap to start off with learning and seeing if I can get the hang of it. LOVE Stephen’s way of teaching so I decided to sign up. Live in rural Idaho so in person drum teachers are rare.

Kyle
    Participant

Welcome Stephanie to the world of drumming! Its very rewarding and fun once you start to notice little victories, and learning new rudiments, patterns, ect. Can’t wait to hear your progress!

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Stephanie I love your husband! Good man right there to encourage you lol. Love it

So glad to have you be a part of the DBD community Stephanie. Can’t wait to hear about your progress.

And smart move for buying used on CL. I have ALWAYS bought used drums and gotten killer deals on killer gear.

Richard
    Participant

Hi Stephanie,

Glad you decided to take the plunge into the pleasures of hitting things with twigs! :) Hope to hear and see how you’re getting on with your progress. All the best and as Stephen would say, GO PRACTICE!

Ric

P.s. Is that the Stig from Top Gear you’ve got as your profile pic?? :)

Stephanie
    Participant

Ric! LOL! “Hitting things with twigs” I love it! I recently saw an interview with Barry Kerch from Shinedown, he was trying to downplay his part. He said “Oh I just count and hit things”. Very excited to be learning!

Yes, that is the Stig :) Like the old Top Gear with Hammond, May, & Clarkson but also my husband and I also race cars at our local drag strip. So music and cars eat up a lot of our time :)

Richard
    Participant

Haha, yeah I think a lot of drummers play down what they actually do. I reckon it’s to make the rest of the band not feel inferior to the drummers greatness! :)

What lesson tracks are you working on at the minute? How are you finding the Shed so far?

Old TG is brilliant, some of the episodes are absolutely hilarious, I love the one where they’re doing the road trip across Africa to find the beginning of the river Nile – genius!

And hats off to Mr Stephanie for talking you into playing drums AND racing cars with you – AWESOME! :)

Stephanie
    Participant

I just started Beginner Track 2 last week. So working on the Moeller stroke. Finding muscles in my shoulder that I didn’t know where there :) I am also working on learning Getaway car by Audioslave. It’s fairly slow which at this point in my learning I need. I found a dumbed down version of it which I have learned and gotten the basics. Now I found more accurate sheet music and want to dive into that. When listening to the song or playing along with it I am noticing parts that all sounded the same before aren’t! I am able to hear subtle differences, so even though I may not yet be able to play it more accurately I at least am learning the difference.

LOVE the Shed! I really appreciate how Stephen not only explains what to do, but the reason behind it, and practical application.

TG had a couple of Africa ones that were great OLIVER!! One of my favs.

Yes! My hubby is the best! Though I think it’s partially because he likes to tell people that his wife races cars. Now that I am learning drums he gets to hear all about drum technique and what I’m learning. Thankfully he is equally into music and drums as I am so he’s not bored :)

Kyle
    Participant

Ooh, Audioslave Getaway Car! What a good choice! Brad is a good drummer. If your up for another drummer who grooves very well look up some of Soundgardens work by Matt Cameron, his drumming is splendid.

Richard
    Participant

Good call, Kyle! Matt Cameron is an awesome drummer, always plays for the song rather than doing needless chops all over the place. He’s commanding on King Animal, really solid and a great feel to all the songs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.