Moeller Question

Drum Lessons Forums DBD Member Lesson Discussion Moeller Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Marcus

Stephen,

When working the Moeller technique for the controlled bounces (Beginner Track 2, Lesson 1, (#747)) , should the ring and little fingers always stay in contact with the stick?

david
    Participant

Interesting that you bring that up Marcus. I just went through the hand technique track and now doing beginner track 2. I thought my weak hand was sounding a little off so I looked into it some more and it seems like the two fingers you mentioned were not quite closed enough. I tried closing them just a little more and that seemed to help. Looking forward to hear what you figure out.

Dave

Grant
    Keymaster

I as well would like to hear this answer! Moeller is on my list of things to dive into this year. Great questions Marcus!

Stephen
    Keymaster

As much as possible. But you are obviously opening up the hand to allow for rebound. So there will be some give there. The important thing is to stay focused on that idea of cradling the stick…not choking it. I’m not as concerned with the other unless it becomes an obvious hindrance. We just want to keep the pinky from sticking way out. We’re not having tea ;^)

Attempting to keep those fingers as engaged and on the stick as possible makes it easier to flow in and out of rebound and finger control techniques.

Marcus

Stephen and fellow shed mates, please give this a look and tell me what you think. Does it look like Moeller?  What should I fix?

https://youtu.be/L4aReCsRmI4

david
    Participant

Looks good to me Marcus. Sounds nice and even too.

Dave

Stephen M
    Participant

Hi Marcus.  Nice video! I’ve been pulling apart my hand technique for the last few weeks, really focussing on using Moeller, drop-grab and finger control to improve 16ths, so I hope you don’t mind if I add to the discussion.

The video appears to have a triplet-feel?  Are you using the tap on the upstroke or finger control for the third note? I started like this but if I played four notes (i.e. downstroke-bounce-bounce-tap, on the upstroke for the next Moeller throw) it quickly improved my use of the tap using the correct subdivisions. Not sure if I’m on the right track, Stephen, any advice?

Marcus

Stephen M.  Yes definitely a triplet feel. When practicing, Inusually do duples, triplets, and quads. I only recorded the triplets to illustrate my hands. When I am playing duples, my non-accented notes are bounces controlled in time.  The last note is what I would call an upstroke meaning I am lifting the butt of the stick (basically step three of the moeller motion), and allowing the tip to fall to the drum to sound the final note before the next accented downstroke. So I don’t know that I would call the last note a tap or a bounce and it isn’t really finger control. Does that make sense?

Robert
    Participant

I definitely see the Moeller in there.  Nice and smooth, especially the transition between hands.  Looks and sounds great Marcus!

Stephen M
    Participant

Marcus, that makes perfect sense.  Really nice control. Spot on!

Stephen
    Keymaster

You got it down brotha. Now it’s a matter of interlacing the two hands to make a single stroke roll using the Moeller. But you have it down cold in that video.

Colby
    Participant

Hey guys looking for some advice on how to start a good daily schedule for my practice. I work construction and my hours are 6:00 am to 4:00 pm most days so I am always tired. Please reply if you have anything for me!

Marcus

Colby,  clearly you have very long days.  The key here is scheduling.  Sit down with your calendar.  Map your day and actually schedule in that practice time on your calendar.  My day starts at 5 a.m. and I get home around 5:30 p.m.  I have a wife, 2 kids and a dog.  Practicing in the evening is not an option for me. So I practice from 10:30 p.m. (after everyone goes to bed) until 11:30/midnightish.  What all competes for your time between when you get home from work and when you go to sleep?

Colby
    Participant

Luckily I don’t have much in my way after work the battle really is just the lack of motivation and how tired I am after a long day at work. Would a written schedule work fine, like on a notepad I have an awful time following one on my phone even using things like google calendar.

Marcus

Sure.  You just need to allocate the time in your day however that works for you.  Sounds to me like you could come home, grab a power nap, eat some dinner and maybe start your practice session at 7.  Motivation challenges are often associated with focus issues.  I find it hard to get motivated if I have to figure out what I am going to practice.  So, I plan my practice.  It is written down in a notebook I keep in my studio.  As I practice I make notes on my progress or what needs work.  If you need help to know what all that looks like, check out the “How to Practice’ video in the Warrior Way, Beginner Track 1.  I can’t over emphasize the importance of well-structured  and focused practice.  Give it a shot.  I bet it will increase your motivation dramatically.

• Author

Marcus

Stephen,

When working the Moeller technique for the controlled bounces (Beginner Track 2, Lesson 1, (#747)) , should the ring and little fingers always stay in contact with the stick?

david
    Participant

Interesting that you bring that up Marcus. I just went through the hand technique track and now doing beginner track 2. I thought my weak hand was sounding a little off so I looked into it some more and it seems like the two fingers you mentioned were not quite closed enough. I tried closing them just a little more and that seemed to help. Looking forward to hear what you figure out.

Dave

Grant
    Keymaster

I as well would like to hear this answer! Moeller is on my list of things to dive into this year. Great questions Marcus!

Stephen
    Keymaster

As much as possible. But you are obviously opening up the hand to allow for rebound. So there will be some give there. The important thing is to stay focused on that idea of cradling the stick…not choking it. I’m not as concerned with the other unless it becomes an obvious hindrance. We just want to keep the pinky from sticking way out. We’re not having tea ;^)

Attempting to keep those fingers as engaged and on the stick as possible makes it easier to flow in and out of rebound and finger control techniques.

Marcus

Stephen and fellow shed mates, please give this a look and tell me what you think. Does it look like Moeller?  What should I fix?

https://youtu.be/L4aReCsRmI4

david
    Participant

Looks good to me Marcus. Sounds nice and even too.

Dave

Stephen M
    Participant

Hi Marcus.  Nice video! I’ve been pulling apart my hand technique for the last few weeks, really focussing on using Moeller, drop-grab and finger control to improve 16ths, so I hope you don’t mind if I add to the discussion.

The video appears to have a triplet-feel?  Are you using the tap on the upstroke or finger control for the third note? I started like this but if I played four notes (i.e. downstroke-bounce-bounce-tap, on the upstroke for the next Moeller throw) it quickly improved my use of the tap using the correct subdivisions. Not sure if I’m on the right track, Stephen, any advice?

Marcus

Stephen M.  Yes definitely a triplet feel. When practicing, Inusually do duples, triplets, and quads. I only recorded the triplets to illustrate my hands. When I am playing duples, my non-accented notes are bounces controlled in time.  The last note is what I would call an upstroke meaning I am lifting the butt of the stick (basically step three of the moeller motion), and allowing the tip to fall to the drum to sound the final note before the next accented downstroke. So I don’t know that I would call the last note a tap or a bounce and it isn’t really finger control. Does that make sense?

Robert
    Participant

I definitely see the Moeller in there.  Nice and smooth, especially the transition between hands.  Looks and sounds great Marcus!

Stephen M
    Participant

Marcus, that makes perfect sense.  Really nice control. Spot on!

Stephen
    Keymaster

You got it down brotha. Now it’s a matter of interlacing the two hands to make a single stroke roll using the Moeller. But you have it down cold in that video.

Colby
    Participant

Hey guys looking for some advice on how to start a good daily schedule for my practice. I work construction and my hours are 6:00 am to 4:00 pm most days so I am always tired. Please reply if you have anything for me!

Marcus

Colby,  clearly you have very long days.  The key here is scheduling.  Sit down with your calendar.  Map your day and actually schedule in that practice time on your calendar.  My day starts at 5 a.m. and I get home around 5:30 p.m.  I have a wife, 2 kids and a dog.  Practicing in the evening is not an option for me. So I practice from 10:30 p.m. (after everyone goes to bed) until 11:30/midnightish.  What all competes for your time between when you get home from work and when you go to sleep?

Colby
    Participant

Luckily I don’t have much in my way after work the battle really is just the lack of motivation and how tired I am after a long day at work. Would a written schedule work fine, like on a notepad I have an awful time following one on my phone even using things like google calendar.

Marcus

Sure.  You just need to allocate the time in your day however that works for you.  Sounds to me like you could come home, grab a power nap, eat some dinner and maybe start your practice session at 7.  Motivation challenges are often associated with focus issues.  I find it hard to get motivated if I have to figure out what I am going to practice.  So, I plan my practice.  It is written down in a notebook I keep in my studio.  As I practice I make notes on my progress or what needs work.  If you need help to know what all that looks like, check out the “How to Practice’ video in the Warrior Way, Beginner Track 1.  I can’t over emphasize the importance of well-structured  and focused practice.  Give it a shot.  I bet it will increase your motivation dramatically.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.