Hola, ladies and gents!

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself Hola, ladies and gents!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant

Alright groovers, how are we all doing?

My name is Ric, I’m 42 years young and I hail from Wakefield in the UK.

I started playing when I was 15, had a friend at school who’d started playing guitar, one of the other guys in our group said “I’ll play guitar, too!”, then someone else said “I’ll play bass!”, then everyone looked at me and I was like “……erm, I’ll play the drums then, yeah?”. So I went home that evening and my mum was doing the washing up and I thought to myself, ‘hmmmm, this could be a good opportunity to ask for a drum kit’, which I did. The reply was, and bear in mind my mum never even looked up from the washing up when she said this, “there is no way you are getting a drum kit in this house”. Ah crap! Now what? Tried learning the guitar, hated it. Tried learing bass, hated it. Went back to the guitar again, still hated it.

Then I saw a video by the band Megadeth. The song was Holy Wars…..The Punishment Due and the drummer was a guy called Nick Menza. He had a massive, black Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit, double bass drums, 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, loads of cymbals and all this was mouted on a huge Voelker drum rack and he was kicking the crap out of it. Ladies and Gentlemen, it was the coolest thing this particular 15 year old had ever seen and he thought to himself, ‘I NEED to do that!’

So I pestered, nagged, sulked, stropped, pleaded and generally made a right pain of myself until my mum said ‘OK, I’ll get you some sticks and some lessons and if you’re still playing in 6 months I’ll look at getting you a kit for your birthday’. Those sticks never left my side for those 6 months and I got lessons from a friends uncle who was in a few bands. True to her word we went and got my first kit on my birthday, a black Yamaha Power V 5 piece and a set of Speedfire cymbals (which were TERRIBLE!).

We started our band at school, never really did anything for a year or so and then split up. Myself, one of the guitarists and the bass player then started a covers band with the guitarists girlfriend who was a singer, did one gig and then split up. But a guy saw me at that gig and asked me to join his original band, Junkhead. We were very ROCK were pretty serious about ‘making it’, rehearsed a lot, did loads of gigs (one of which was at the Marquee Club in London), did a few recordings and it was good for a couple of years. Then I thought things were getting a bit stale and decided to move on and joined an indie rock band called Pazuzu, had some great times for a good few years but it was nothing too serious and just good fun. After that I got myself in a function band which I hated and only lasted 6 months in (the bass player was an a**wipe) so left and set up a band with a guy I’d met when doing Pazuzu and he’s probably the best gutarist I’ve played with. This band was called Brody (we were all massive Jaws fans, “Hooper drives the boat, Chief”!) and we ended up getting signed to a minor label but nothing came of it as the guy who ran it was a con artist. We split and then I joined a Foo Fighters tribute called Four Fighters. Did that for 11 years and for the last 4 of those I was in an original band called Superintendent, we did a self funded album called First Offence but split last year for personal reasons.

So that brings me pretty much up to date! At the minute I’m doing and original band called Seas Of Scarlet (with the bass player from Junkhead, talk about going back to where you started!!) and a rock covers band called Ninja Chicken.

Loving the Shed and it’s community, think it’s got a great vibe and Steve is the man when it comes to all things drummery. Only been on here for 4 months and I can already see improvements in my playing and consistency.

Sorry for waffling on and well done if you’ve actually managed to get to the end!

Cheers

Ric

Robert
    Participant

Glad to meet you Rick!  I had a similar start to drums.  In high school, me and two friends decided to start a band, even though none of us played an instrument.  I was going to play bass and then our “guitarist” said, “You know Rob, if we start a band, we’re going to need drums”.  My head nearly exploded and I thought, “Yeah, I’ll do that!”.  Funny how we stumble upon our passions!

Richard
    Participant

Hi Robert, good to meet you too, sir! Haha, yeah know what you mean. It’s weird to think that if that conversation never happened we might never have found our love for hitting things. Mind you, without that conversation we’d probably have a lot more money and our neighbours would like us more! :)

Stephen
    Keymaster

Ric!!! What up brotha! Nice tubs you got there. And that last pic is priceless lol!

Really glad you’re seeing the progress you want to see in the Shed.

Kyle
    Participant

Digging the drumset Richard! Welcome!

Richard
    Participant

Hi Kyle, only just seen your reply, thanks mate! Got to say your DW’s look stunning and checked out the vid you posted where you were doing the cross sticking, very impressive, you smashed it dude! How are you finding the Shed?

• Author

Richard
    Participant

Alright groovers, how are we all doing?

My name is Ric, I’m 42 years young and I hail from Wakefield in the UK.

I started playing when I was 15, had a friend at school who’d started playing guitar, one of the other guys in our group said “I’ll play guitar, too!”, then someone else said “I’ll play bass!”, then everyone looked at me and I was like “……erm, I’ll play the drums then, yeah?”. So I went home that evening and my mum was doing the washing up and I thought to myself, ‘hmmmm, this could be a good opportunity to ask for a drum kit’, which I did. The reply was, and bear in mind my mum never even looked up from the washing up when she said this, “there is no way you are getting a drum kit in this house”. Ah crap! Now what? Tried learning the guitar, hated it. Tried learing bass, hated it. Went back to the guitar again, still hated it.

Then I saw a video by the band Megadeth. The song was Holy Wars…..The Punishment Due and the drummer was a guy called Nick Menza. He had a massive, black Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit, double bass drums, 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, loads of cymbals and all this was mouted on a huge Voelker drum rack and he was kicking the crap out of it. Ladies and Gentlemen, it was the coolest thing this particular 15 year old had ever seen and he thought to himself, ‘I NEED to do that!’

So I pestered, nagged, sulked, stropped, pleaded and generally made a right pain of myself until my mum said ‘OK, I’ll get you some sticks and some lessons and if you’re still playing in 6 months I’ll look at getting you a kit for your birthday’. Those sticks never left my side for those 6 months and I got lessons from a friends uncle who was in a few bands. True to her word we went and got my first kit on my birthday, a black Yamaha Power V 5 piece and a set of Speedfire cymbals (which were TERRIBLE!).

We started our band at school, never really did anything for a year or so and then split up. Myself, one of the guitarists and the bass player then started a covers band with the guitarists girlfriend who was a singer, did one gig and then split up. But a guy saw me at that gig and asked me to join his original band, Junkhead. We were very ROCK were pretty serious about ‘making it’, rehearsed a lot, did loads of gigs (one of which was at the Marquee Club in London), did a few recordings and it was good for a couple of years. Then I thought things were getting a bit stale and decided to move on and joined an indie rock band called Pazuzu, had some great times for a good few years but it was nothing too serious and just good fun. After that I got myself in a function band which I hated and only lasted 6 months in (the bass player was an a**wipe) so left and set up a band with a guy I’d met when doing Pazuzu and he’s probably the best gutarist I’ve played with. This band was called Brody (we were all massive Jaws fans, “Hooper drives the boat, Chief”!) and we ended up getting signed to a minor label but nothing came of it as the guy who ran it was a con artist. We split and then I joined a Foo Fighters tribute called Four Fighters. Did that for 11 years and for the last 4 of those I was in an original band called Superintendent, we did a self funded album called First Offence but split last year for personal reasons.

So that brings me pretty much up to date! At the minute I’m doing and original band called Seas Of Scarlet (with the bass player from Junkhead, talk about going back to where you started!!) and a rock covers band called Ninja Chicken.

Loving the Shed and it’s community, think it’s got a great vibe and Steve is the man when it comes to all things drummery. Only been on here for 4 months and I can already see improvements in my playing and consistency.

Sorry for waffling on and well done if you’ve actually managed to get to the end!

Cheers

Ric

Robert
    Participant

Glad to meet you Rick!  I had a similar start to drums.  In high school, me and two friends decided to start a band, even though none of us played an instrument.  I was going to play bass and then our “guitarist” said, “You know Rob, if we start a band, we’re going to need drums”.  My head nearly exploded and I thought, “Yeah, I’ll do that!”.  Funny how we stumble upon our passions!

Richard
    Participant

Hi Robert, good to meet you too, sir! Haha, yeah know what you mean. It’s weird to think that if that conversation never happened we might never have found our love for hitting things. Mind you, without that conversation we’d probably have a lot more money and our neighbours would like us more! :)

Stephen
    Keymaster

Ric!!! What up brotha! Nice tubs you got there. And that last pic is priceless lol!

Really glad you’re seeing the progress you want to see in the Shed.

Kyle
    Participant

Digging the drumset Richard! Welcome!

Richard
    Participant

Hi Kyle, only just seen your reply, thanks mate! Got to say your DW’s look stunning and checked out the vid you posted where you were doing the cross sticking, very impressive, you smashed it dude! How are you finding the Shed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.