Hi there!

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself Hi there!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joeri
    Participant

Hi,

Just joined. I’m from Belgium. Bought my drumkit in 2012 and took some private lessons. Then I got married and became a father, thus other priorities. Now my daughter is 5 years old, I can reserve more practice time. So Warrior way, here I come ;-)

Grant
    Keymaster

Welcome to the shed Joeri!!

It was awesome to see you jumping into the Warrior Way and joining SDS. I completely understand, a balancing life and passions can be very difficult, but we are so glad you are here!

If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email, I am always here to help: help@stephensdrumshed.wcsitepreview.com. Also! If you haven’t already, feel free to jump into the SDS Facebook page! We have an awesome community of students there that love to support one another. Welcome to the shed Joeri!

Marcus

Hey Joeri.  Welcome to the shed.  Here is what I know about being a dad and a drummer…if you don’t have an understanding with your family about the importance of drumming in  your life it is going to be a really frustrating ride.   My kids are 12 and 16 now.  I remember with they were 2 and 6 and thinking, wow, as soon as they get a year or two older and a bit more self-sufficient, then I will be able to practice regularly on my kit.  It didn’t happen.  It didn’t happen because I approached it all wrong.  I tried to sneak in practice time when I could.  I constantly focused on music and was frustrated that my other life responsibilities were constantly keeping me from it.  I was not a happy man.  Finally, after going through Stephen’s Art of Practice course, I realized my mistake.  I needed to communicate with my family that I was a better person when I got some practice time.  Then, I was able to schedule a reasonable amount of time instead of sneaking around to practice whenever I could.  When I finished my practice time, I felt complete and settled and was able to give my family my full attention.  It was mutually beneficial.  Hopefully you are in a place where all of that is in good order, but if not, learn from my mistake and have that conversation now….even if it is hard.

Joeri
    Participant

Thanks Joshua and Marcus for the kind welcome and wise words!

Grant
    Keymaster

Of course bud! Please let either of us know if you ever need help, we are always here to lend a hand.

• Author

Joeri
    Participant

Hi,

Just joined. I’m from Belgium. Bought my drumkit in 2012 and took some private lessons. Then I got married and became a father, thus other priorities. Now my daughter is 5 years old, I can reserve more practice time. So Warrior way, here I come ;-)

Grant
    Keymaster

Welcome to the shed Joeri!!

It was awesome to see you jumping into the Warrior Way and joining SDS. I completely understand, a balancing life and passions can be very difficult, but we are so glad you are here!

If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email, I am always here to help: help@stephensdrumshed.wcsitepreview.com. Also! If you haven’t already, feel free to jump into the SDS Facebook page! We have an awesome community of students there that love to support one another. Welcome to the shed Joeri!

Marcus

Hey Joeri.  Welcome to the shed.  Here is what I know about being a dad and a drummer…if you don’t have an understanding with your family about the importance of drumming in  your life it is going to be a really frustrating ride.   My kids are 12 and 16 now.  I remember with they were 2 and 6 and thinking, wow, as soon as they get a year or two older and a bit more self-sufficient, then I will be able to practice regularly on my kit.  It didn’t happen.  It didn’t happen because I approached it all wrong.  I tried to sneak in practice time when I could.  I constantly focused on music and was frustrated that my other life responsibilities were constantly keeping me from it.  I was not a happy man.  Finally, after going through Stephen’s Art of Practice course, I realized my mistake.  I needed to communicate with my family that I was a better person when I got some practice time.  Then, I was able to schedule a reasonable amount of time instead of sneaking around to practice whenever I could.  When I finished my practice time, I felt complete and settled and was able to give my family my full attention.  It was mutually beneficial.  Hopefully you are in a place where all of that is in good order, but if not, learn from my mistake and have that conversation now….even if it is hard.

Joeri
    Participant

Thanks Joshua and Marcus for the kind welcome and wise words!

Grant
    Keymaster

Of course bud! Please let either of us know if you ever need help, we are always here to lend a hand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.