Hello

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Devin
    Participant

Hi Guys and Girls

My name is Devin and I’m from Cork, Ireland.

I guess I first started drumming when I was 12? I really wanted a drum kit but we didn’t have the space so my parents bought me a pair of bongos. I loved those things and still have them, I actually played until my hands were bleeding lol.

Few years later when I was around 16 I was working as a mechanic and had the space and the money so bought a kit. I played pretty much constantly until I was 21 then had to leave the kit behind because I moved to Scotland to work as a fish farmer and study marine biology. I kept up the hand percussion though, djembe and cajon but mostly kitchen counters and furniture with a pleasing tone. 7 years later I moved home again and got back behind the kit and I never want to leave it again now.

Right now I’m playing in a classic rock/blues/indie kind of a band, I sometimes play cajon in my dads band which is mostly trad, folk and country and I play caixa in a Samba band. Hoping to study Music at a local college in september because thats what I always really wanted to do. Just waiting to hear back from them after my disastrous audition last week.

Anyway, I tend to ramble on.  Hope to see the forum take off and I will see ye around

Stephen
    Keymaster

What up Devin! Playing hand drums until your hands bleed…lol, unfortunately I know the feeling.
    That’s great that you auditioned for a college! Disastrous auditions…it can’t be worse than mine. For the mallet keyboard part, they asked me to play what was written on the page. It was one note. A whole note. So I took a guess. All they said was “that’s all we need to hear”. Lol…ONE NOTE! And it was wrong. So, no matter how bad the audition, you can still succeed and get in to a quality program.

Devin
    Participant

You couldnt make that up!

If I get in I really hope it is a quality program. Ive heard great things about the place but my audition kinda threw me.

I decided I’d show off what I’m best at so I picked a few grooves that let me do some fancy ghost notes on the snare and show off some left foot independence. I’m pretty proud of those things! I even brought brushes because I get complimented on my brush playing alot.
    When I turned up I was already really nervous then I sat behind the kit. Didnt have a proper drum throne, but I was like whatever I’m not a diva but the snare a had a big thick rubber mute stuck to it. You couldn’t hear the thing at all unless you really really whacked it. So forget about the brushes and the ghost notes, then the hi-hat clutch was jammed so you actually couldnt open and close the hats, you just got this horrible grating noise when the threads scraped against the hole as it went up and down. I tried to fix it but I was so nervous about wasting their time I kinda half-assed it.

Played a basic rock beat with a slamming back beat first to try get some volume out of the snare, then when I finished that I realised the snares were thrown off so it sounded even worse. I was so nervous I probably would have sounded terrible no matter what the set up. I think I saved it by playing a bossa nova thing with the ride and cross stick on the snare. I think they might have even said excellent after that but I was a mess so my memory could be wrong.

Awwww and I just remembered it gets worse. There was a basic music test, they played a short tune twice and I had to clap back the rythm. But I couldnt for the life of me remember the tune everytime, like as soon as it stopped playing it was just gone from my mind. Then there was knowing by ear if a chord was diminished, a diminished 7 etc etc. Totally had to guess my way through that one.

The interview bit went well though so fingers crossed. Bit off putting though that they have a fully equipped recording studio with a ton of gear and 7 brand new apple computers with pro tools but……no drum throne?

Told ya I tend to ramble :-/

Marcus

Hey Devin. If you haven’t heard Stephen’s music school audition, you need to. His story tells it all. Don’t sweat the audition. If you want to do it, there is a way. Glad to have you in the shed!

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Devin Sounds like an audition to me. Don’t worry…the teachers know you are nervous. They account for that. And it’s usually worse in our heads than it actually is in person.

Keep me updated as to if you get in to the program!

• Author

Devin
    Participant

Hi Guys and Girls

My name is Devin and I’m from Cork, Ireland.

I guess I first started drumming when I was 12? I really wanted a drum kit but we didn’t have the space so my parents bought me a pair of bongos. I loved those things and still have them, I actually played until my hands were bleeding lol.

Few years later when I was around 16 I was working as a mechanic and had the space and the money so bought a kit. I played pretty much constantly until I was 21 then had to leave the kit behind because I moved to Scotland to work as a fish farmer and study marine biology. I kept up the hand percussion though, djembe and cajon but mostly kitchen counters and furniture with a pleasing tone. 7 years later I moved home again and got back behind the kit and I never want to leave it again now.

Right now I’m playing in a classic rock/blues/indie kind of a band, I sometimes play cajon in my dads band which is mostly trad, folk and country and I play caixa in a Samba band. Hoping to study Music at a local college in september because thats what I always really wanted to do. Just waiting to hear back from them after my disastrous audition last week.

Anyway, I tend to ramble on.  Hope to see the forum take off and I will see ye around

Stephen
    Keymaster

What up Devin! Playing hand drums until your hands bleed…lol, unfortunately I know the feeling.
    That’s great that you auditioned for a college! Disastrous auditions…it can’t be worse than mine. For the mallet keyboard part, they asked me to play what was written on the page. It was one note. A whole note. So I took a guess. All they said was “that’s all we need to hear”. Lol…ONE NOTE! And it was wrong. So, no matter how bad the audition, you can still succeed and get in to a quality program.

Devin
    Participant

You couldnt make that up!

If I get in I really hope it is a quality program. Ive heard great things about the place but my audition kinda threw me.

I decided I’d show off what I’m best at so I picked a few grooves that let me do some fancy ghost notes on the snare and show off some left foot independence. I’m pretty proud of those things! I even brought brushes because I get complimented on my brush playing alot.
    When I turned up I was already really nervous then I sat behind the kit. Didnt have a proper drum throne, but I was like whatever I’m not a diva but the snare a had a big thick rubber mute stuck to it. You couldn’t hear the thing at all unless you really really whacked it. So forget about the brushes and the ghost notes, then the hi-hat clutch was jammed so you actually couldnt open and close the hats, you just got this horrible grating noise when the threads scraped against the hole as it went up and down. I tried to fix it but I was so nervous about wasting their time I kinda half-assed it.

Played a basic rock beat with a slamming back beat first to try get some volume out of the snare, then when I finished that I realised the snares were thrown off so it sounded even worse. I was so nervous I probably would have sounded terrible no matter what the set up. I think I saved it by playing a bossa nova thing with the ride and cross stick on the snare. I think they might have even said excellent after that but I was a mess so my memory could be wrong.

Awwww and I just remembered it gets worse. There was a basic music test, they played a short tune twice and I had to clap back the rythm. But I couldnt for the life of me remember the tune everytime, like as soon as it stopped playing it was just gone from my mind. Then there was knowing by ear if a chord was diminished, a diminished 7 etc etc. Totally had to guess my way through that one.

The interview bit went well though so fingers crossed. Bit off putting though that they have a fully equipped recording studio with a ton of gear and 7 brand new apple computers with pro tools but……no drum throne?

Told ya I tend to ramble :-/

Marcus

Hey Devin. If you haven’t heard Stephen’s music school audition, you need to. His story tells it all. Don’t sweat the audition. If you want to do it, there is a way. Glad to have you in the shed!

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Devin Sounds like an audition to me. Don’t worry…the teachers know you are nervous. They account for that. And it’s usually worse in our heads than it actually is in person.

Keep me updated as to if you get in to the program!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.