Hello from Alabama

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Alabama

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant

Excited to be here! My name is Davis, and I started playing drums when I was 10. I am predominately self-taught, although I did have an amazing teacher for about 6 months before I got bored with practicing rudiments on a pad. I wish I could travel back through time and slap my 10 year old self. I loved to play the drums. I played in bands with friends, and I would even haul my kit down to our high school football games to play because we didn’t have a marching band. I started to step away from the drums during my college career because I couldn’t take my kit with me. My playing would be sporadic at most. I officially went on drum hiatus at the age of 25 when I sold my kit to help pay some bills. However, earlier this summer I decided to pick up the sticks again. I’ve been practicing on my drum pad 2-3 hours a day and am saving up money to buy a new kit later this year. Until then, I’m concentrating on improving my hand technique. I was always more of a “musical” player and less of a “technical” player. My lack of technique always held me back from being able to play grooves and fills that I wanted to play. Now I have the discipline to put in the work to improve my playing. I just need direction. That’s why I joined SDS!

Stephen
    Keymaster

Hey Davis…sorry, I’ve been on vacation for the past week. Just now getting caught up.

Glad you decided to pick the sticks back up! Hopefully SDS will give you that organization you’re looking for. Let me know if you need any help as you go or have any questions.

• Author

John
    Participant

Excited to be here! My name is Davis, and I started playing drums when I was 10. I am predominately self-taught, although I did have an amazing teacher for about 6 months before I got bored with practicing rudiments on a pad. I wish I could travel back through time and slap my 10 year old self. I loved to play the drums. I played in bands with friends, and I would even haul my kit down to our high school football games to play because we didn’t have a marching band. I started to step away from the drums during my college career because I couldn’t take my kit with me. My playing would be sporadic at most. I officially went on drum hiatus at the age of 25 when I sold my kit to help pay some bills. However, earlier this summer I decided to pick up the sticks again. I’ve been practicing on my drum pad 2-3 hours a day and am saving up money to buy a new kit later this year. Until then, I’m concentrating on improving my hand technique. I was always more of a “musical” player and less of a “technical” player. My lack of technique always held me back from being able to play grooves and fills that I wanted to play. Now I have the discipline to put in the work to improve my playing. I just need direction. That’s why I joined SDS!

Stephen
    Keymaster

Hey Davis…sorry, I’ve been on vacation for the past week. Just now getting caught up.

Glad you decided to pick the sticks back up! Hopefully SDS will give you that organization you’re looking for. Let me know if you need any help as you go or have any questions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.