Hello!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Participant

I just joined Stephen’s drum shed a week ago after doing some research and figuring out what I wanted to achieve drumming wise. I am 25 years old and live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I’ve been in a few bands and projects with mixed results. I have been drumming since elementary school when my older brother tried drumming in 4th grade, I thought hey maybe I could do it as well. My older brother stopped and I continued. I picked it up fast, eventually getting a loaner drumset in middle school from my uncle who used to play drums when he was younger. He would give me simple fill lessons every other week since he lived a neighbor hood away. He moved away into the mountains and took the drumset. My parents ended up getting me a Tama Rock Star in Green skin, it was a 3 piece. At that time it was just amazing, I kept playing and learning about types of cymbals. I would get quite a bit of cymbals, a Zildjian China, crash, splash ect. You can never have too much of drumming jewelry! I got into Hard Rock bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, learning drum fills I would hear in songs. I became fascinated in Matt Cameron’s drumming actually, I learned quite a bit from his playing. From that I eventually started to get into older bands such as The Police, Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Who, Cream, and learning a lot from drumming there as well.

My most recent drum set is a 6 piece Red DW performance series, with a mix of Zildjian Avedis Custom Crashes, with a few Sabian Paragon China, Ride and splashes. Very happy with the sound of those, I also recently started getting into some electronics, and started rigging some pads around my kit for interesting sound choices. I see the drumset as a time keeping instrument, but not just boring: but as a palette of sound, one where I can blend sounds, mix octaves of drums and using them in creative sequences. I like to play odd time signatures, or playing different tempos within a 4/4 measure of time. My biggest influences today is Daney Carey, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Matt Cameron, John Bonham, Bill Bruford.

As for today I am in a cover band and one thing I want to get better at is time keeping, and groove. Perhaps get better with hand technique, and faster hands and feet. But time keeping is something I can be off at times when I am tired, or nervous. I want to expand my learning on fills and ideas as well. I know a lot of fills and things to play which I have in my mental drum dictionary, but no matter how much you know or how good you could be you can always learn more! So that is the attitude I possess in drumming and in a lot of my everyday hobbies. Enough of the long post, but hope to learn a lot on here as well!

Stephen
    Keymaster

What up @Kyle

Nice to know a little more about you man. Solid time keeping…SUCH an important part of what we do. It’s just not focused on enough these days. There’s quite a few lessons in the members area on just that specific thing (Basics of Groove is the best start with that). Solid time keeping is how I’ve put food on the table my entire life. Also…love that list of rock/prog drumming influences! Glad to have you be a part of the SDS fam!

Marcus

Hey Kyle! You are going to really dig this place. The things you are well covered in the shed. Happy to have you with us!

• Author

Kyle
    Participant

I just joined Stephen’s drum shed a week ago after doing some research and figuring out what I wanted to achieve drumming wise. I am 25 years old and live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I’ve been in a few bands and projects with mixed results. I have been drumming since elementary school when my older brother tried drumming in 4th grade, I thought hey maybe I could do it as well. My older brother stopped and I continued. I picked it up fast, eventually getting a loaner drumset in middle school from my uncle who used to play drums when he was younger. He would give me simple fill lessons every other week since he lived a neighbor hood away. He moved away into the mountains and took the drumset. My parents ended up getting me a Tama Rock Star in Green skin, it was a 3 piece. At that time it was just amazing, I kept playing and learning about types of cymbals. I would get quite a bit of cymbals, a Zildjian China, crash, splash ect. You can never have too much of drumming jewelry! I got into Hard Rock bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, learning drum fills I would hear in songs. I became fascinated in Matt Cameron’s drumming actually, I learned quite a bit from his playing. From that I eventually started to get into older bands such as The Police, Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Who, Cream, and learning a lot from drumming there as well.

My most recent drum set is a 6 piece Red DW performance series, with a mix of Zildjian Avedis Custom Crashes, with a few Sabian Paragon China, Ride and splashes. Very happy with the sound of those, I also recently started getting into some electronics, and started rigging some pads around my kit for interesting sound choices. I see the drumset as a time keeping instrument, but not just boring: but as a palette of sound, one where I can blend sounds, mix octaves of drums and using them in creative sequences. I like to play odd time signatures, or playing different tempos within a 4/4 measure of time. My biggest influences today is Daney Carey, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Matt Cameron, John Bonham, Bill Bruford.

As for today I am in a cover band and one thing I want to get better at is time keeping, and groove. Perhaps get better with hand technique, and faster hands and feet. But time keeping is something I can be off at times when I am tired, or nervous. I want to expand my learning on fills and ideas as well. I know a lot of fills and things to play which I have in my mental drum dictionary, but no matter how much you know or how good you could be you can always learn more! So that is the attitude I possess in drumming and in a lot of my everyday hobbies. Enough of the long post, but hope to learn a lot on here as well!

Stephen
    Keymaster

What up @Kyle

Nice to know a little more about you man. Solid time keeping…SUCH an important part of what we do. It’s just not focused on enough these days. There’s quite a few lessons in the members area on just that specific thing (Basics of Groove is the best start with that). Solid time keeping is how I’ve put food on the table my entire life. Also…love that list of rock/prog drumming influences! Glad to have you be a part of the SDS fam!

Marcus

Hey Kyle! You are going to really dig this place. The things you are well covered in the shed. Happy to have you with us!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.