Greetings loved ones!

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself Greetings loved ones!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

My name is Michael Dallara and I’m a 19 year old second-year business student at San Francisco State University. Business classes do not inspire me, to say the least, but I learn some useful info. My real focus is the drums: as the great Vennu Mallesh once said, “My teacher scolds me that I neglect education. She don’t know I collect real education.”

Ever since I can remember, I was playing music in some way or another. I went through violin, glockenspiel, triangle (yes, triangle), guitar, bass guitar, and orchestral snare, and couldn’t bring myself to practice any of them (although I liked snare the most). At 14 I found a teacher by the name of John Mader (Hamilton, The Lion King, BX3, etc.) and I never looked back.

I played heavy metal exclusively for a couple years before moving on to rock and pop, then funk, and now I try to play everything I can. Last year I discovered New Orleans music… This year I found an appreciation and love for jazz… I have a long way to go. I currently play for a church here in San Francisco, as well as in a rock band with some friends called The Turnouts, a neo-swing/80s band called The Spellbreakers, and anywhere else I can set up or bring my sticks–the music scene in Oakland is RIDICULOUS!

I found Stephen through his free YouTube videos, as they kept popping up in my recommended section, and I am so glad I decided to click on them. My approach and my thought processes have changed immensely and will continue to do so. I could go on praising his teaching all year but I’ll save that for a different forum section. I am so stoked to be a part of this community!

Robert
    Participant

Welcome Michael.  Stephen definitely has a unique way of connecting and communicating with students.  So cool to hear about all the action you’re getting in Oakland!

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Michael !!!

Bro, so glad you’re a part of the SDS fam. And I love that you’re playing out as much as you are. Also…food for thought…I have a good buddy that got a major in business and a minor in music. He’s now full time music but has the business chops to really boost his career. It will open some doors that otherwise would never have been opened. A lot of killer players out there…but that’s all they do is play (not taking anything away from the by the way…just an important discussion to have). When it comes to the business side they really are lacking and I’ve seen MULTIPLE very large careers hindered by this. The music business has two parts…music and business. You’re covering both and I’m willing to bet you’re gonna have a pretty fantastic career because of it. Keep plugging away. And also take advantage of all the free business knowledge out there…podcasts are a HUGE portion of my spare time these days. So many good ones.

And thanks so much for the kind words my friend. They really do mean the world to me.

Marcus

Michael, Hey man glad you are here. Stick with that business education. It will help you in anything you do!

• Author

Michael
    Participant

My name is Michael Dallara and I’m a 19 year old second-year business student at San Francisco State University. Business classes do not inspire me, to say the least, but I learn some useful info. My real focus is the drums: as the great Vennu Mallesh once said, “My teacher scolds me that I neglect education. She don’t know I collect real education.”

Ever since I can remember, I was playing music in some way or another. I went through violin, glockenspiel, triangle (yes, triangle), guitar, bass guitar, and orchestral snare, and couldn’t bring myself to practice any of them (although I liked snare the most). At 14 I found a teacher by the name of John Mader (Hamilton, The Lion King, BX3, etc.) and I never looked back.

I played heavy metal exclusively for a couple years before moving on to rock and pop, then funk, and now I try to play everything I can. Last year I discovered New Orleans music… This year I found an appreciation and love for jazz… I have a long way to go. I currently play for a church here in San Francisco, as well as in a rock band with some friends called The Turnouts, a neo-swing/80s band called The Spellbreakers, and anywhere else I can set up or bring my sticks–the music scene in Oakland is RIDICULOUS!

I found Stephen through his free YouTube videos, as they kept popping up in my recommended section, and I am so glad I decided to click on them. My approach and my thought processes have changed immensely and will continue to do so. I could go on praising his teaching all year but I’ll save that for a different forum section. I am so stoked to be a part of this community!

Robert
    Participant

Welcome Michael.  Stephen definitely has a unique way of connecting and communicating with students.  So cool to hear about all the action you’re getting in Oakland!

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Michael !!!

Bro, so glad you’re a part of the SDS fam. And I love that you’re playing out as much as you are. Also…food for thought…I have a good buddy that got a major in business and a minor in music. He’s now full time music but has the business chops to really boost his career. It will open some doors that otherwise would never have been opened. A lot of killer players out there…but that’s all they do is play (not taking anything away from the by the way…just an important discussion to have). When it comes to the business side they really are lacking and I’ve seen MULTIPLE very large careers hindered by this. The music business has two parts…music and business. You’re covering both and I’m willing to bet you’re gonna have a pretty fantastic career because of it. Keep plugging away. And also take advantage of all the free business knowledge out there…podcasts are a HUGE portion of my spare time these days. So many good ones.

And thanks so much for the kind words my friend. They really do mean the world to me.

Marcus

Michael, Hey man glad you are here. Stick with that business education. It will help you in anything you do!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.