Greetings from Wisconsin!

Drum Lessons Forums Introduce Yourself Greetings from Wisconsin!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert
    Participant

I’m Rob and I live in Port Washington Wisconsin, about 30 miles north of Milwaukee (or 90 miles south of Green Bay if you happen to be a Packers fan).  I have a wife, a 13-year-old biological son and a sibling set adopted out of foster care (8-year-old son, 6-year-old daughter and 5-year-old daughter).  When the walls of our house aren’t vibrating from all their energy, I like to fit in some practice time.

I started playing acoustic guitar at 14 and drums at 15.  However, I didn’t have the money for lessons so I’m mostly self- taught.  If only we had You Tube and online teachers back in my day!  I haven’t played a secular gig since 2012 and am currently serving as the drummer for our church’s worship team.  Needless to say, it took a while for a strait up rock drummer to grasp the subtleties of a Sunday morning set list!  When I came across Stephen on You Tube, his teaching style and approach really resonated with me so I signed on for the TAOP course and decided to maintain my membership.  I’m hoping to get back into some light gigging within the next couple years (when I don’t have to be up at 6:00 on the weekends to cook the waffles).

I’m super excited about the forum and the opportunity to support each other, learn from each other and make some drummer connections.  We tend to be a different breed :).

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Robert.
    Stephen
    Keymaster

@Robert I totally feel you on the 6am weekend wakeups! I’ve got a gig tonight and Kelli was asking if I needed to sleep downstairs so I can actually sleep past 6 lol.

That’s great that you’re serving in your church…and that you’re getting back out and playing other gigs. I do a lot of both (a club date tonight, one tomorrow night, a church service Sunday morning). It’s a healthy balance.

And I agree…I have wished SO many times that I would have had the tools available now when I was coming up and first learning. But who knows, maybe I would have turned out differently…so maybe i”m happy with how it all happened ;^)

Marcus

Welcome to the shed Robert. Kudos to you for all you are doing in life. I feel you on all that life stuff. I think you will find the shed to be a great resource you can work in to your current setting. Glad you are in the hang.

• Author

Robert
    Participant

I’m Rob and I live in Port Washington Wisconsin, about 30 miles north of Milwaukee (or 90 miles south of Green Bay if you happen to be a Packers fan).  I have a wife, a 13-year-old biological son and a sibling set adopted out of foster care (8-year-old son, 6-year-old daughter and 5-year-old daughter).  When the walls of our house aren’t vibrating from all their energy, I like to fit in some practice time.

I started playing acoustic guitar at 14 and drums at 15.  However, I didn’t have the money for lessons so I’m mostly self- taught.  If only we had You Tube and online teachers back in my day!  I haven’t played a secular gig since 2012 and am currently serving as the drummer for our church’s worship team.  Needless to say, it took a while for a strait up rock drummer to grasp the subtleties of a Sunday morning set list!  When I came across Stephen on You Tube, his teaching style and approach really resonated with me so I signed on for the TAOP course and decided to maintain my membership.  I’m hoping to get back into some light gigging within the next couple years (when I don’t have to be up at 6:00 on the weekends to cook the waffles).

I’m super excited about the forum and the opportunity to support each other, learn from each other and make some drummer connections.  We tend to be a different breed :).

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Robert.

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Robert I totally feel you on the 6am weekend wakeups! I’ve got a gig tonight and Kelli was asking if I needed to sleep downstairs so I can actually sleep past 6 lol.

That’s great that you’re serving in your church…and that you’re getting back out and playing other gigs. I do a lot of both (a club date tonight, one tomorrow night, a church service Sunday morning). It’s a healthy balance.

And I agree…I have wished SO many times that I would have had the tools available now when I was coming up and first learning. But who knows, maybe I would have turned out differently…so maybe i”m happy with how it all happened ;^)

Marcus

Welcome to the shed Robert. Kudos to you for all you are doing in life. I feel you on all that life stuff. I think you will find the shed to be a great resource you can work in to your current setting. Glad you are in the hang.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.