Fast blues drum solo

Drum Lessons Forums DBD Member Lesson Discussion Fast blues drum solo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Walt
    Participant

I’ve been playing with a couple of guys. Very talented. Because of the lessons I’ve been able to hang in there and thus far they’ve been very positive. However, last night we were rehearsing a fast 170bpm blues song. And the guitarist and bass player did some really nice soloing on it (they’ve played it a bunch of times together) and then my turn to solo came. It wasn’t very good. I can play that fast but not with the right feel. We’re to start? Rehearsal is in a week.

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey Walt! Great question. First off, congrats on playing with the group. That’s such an exciting part of playing the drums is going from the practice room, to playing with other people, very cool.

Soloing is just like learning grooves, time and feel. It just takes practice. I would imagine (at least for myself) to jump into a solo at that fast of a tempo, when I don’t usually have situations where I’m expected to solo, I would have a hard time.

I would suggest practicing your soloing at a slower tempo starting at 100, moving to 120, 140 and so on. The more comfortable you are, the better you will play, and also you’ll have way more fun. Also, the more often you “live” in that tempo, the more comfortable you will be. I played a lot of rock and metal music when I was younger, so fast tempos are more comfortable for me. However, put me in a jazz situation and I’ll fall apart. However, the more time I spend in jazz environments, the more comfortable I’ll be.

I hope these thoughts help, of course they’re not the end all answer, just some thoughts on ways to overcome this hurtle.

I also attached a video of Stephen going over the idea of soloing, and some thoughts he has on the topic. CLICK HERE. Keep it up though Walt! I’m so excited to hear you are playing with others.

Marcus

Walt, if the speed is the issue, consider using longer notes….by that I mean if the tempo is 170, then 16th notes are 4x as fast, but whole notes are 4x slower. Consider playing something on the 1 or the 1 and 3 of every bar instead of each beat or even subdivisions of beats. If they guitarists have been killing it with tons of notes breaking that up with a more spacious solo could give the listeners ears a break and might juxtapose against the song nicely. Using longer notes and subdividing the phrase or the bar instead of the beat is a trick I often use when the song is faster than I can comfortably play.

Walt
    Participant

Joshua, Thank you for your reply. I took your suggestion and have been working up to the tempo. I still need to work on creativity. I should be passable by Friday. I also, I had to practice playing the groove at that tempo and then going in and out of a solo.

Marcus, that is a great idea. I tried it and it sounds realllly good. Thanks!

Grant
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you are feeling more comfortable with the challenge Walt!! That is awesome. Keep it up, these situations only push you to be a better player. Let us know if you ever need anything else bud!

• Author

Walt
    Participant

I’ve been playing with a couple of guys. Very talented. Because of the lessons I’ve been able to hang in there and thus far they’ve been very positive. However, last night we were rehearsing a fast 170bpm blues song. And the guitarist and bass player did some really nice soloing on it (they’ve played it a bunch of times together) and then my turn to solo came. It wasn’t very good. I can play that fast but not with the right feel. We’re to start? Rehearsal is in a week.

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey Walt! Great question. First off, congrats on playing with the group. That’s such an exciting part of playing the drums is going from the practice room, to playing with other people, very cool.

Soloing is just like learning grooves, time and feel. It just takes practice. I would imagine (at least for myself) to jump into a solo at that fast of a tempo, when I don’t usually have situations where I’m expected to solo, I would have a hard time.

I would suggest practicing your soloing at a slower tempo starting at 100, moving to 120, 140 and so on. The more comfortable you are, the better you will play, and also you’ll have way more fun. Also, the more often you “live” in that tempo, the more comfortable you will be. I played a lot of rock and metal music when I was younger, so fast tempos are more comfortable for me. However, put me in a jazz situation and I’ll fall apart. However, the more time I spend in jazz environments, the more comfortable I’ll be.

I hope these thoughts help, of course they’re not the end all answer, just some thoughts on ways to overcome this hurtle.

I also attached a video of Stephen going over the idea of soloing, and some thoughts he has on the topic. CLICK HERE. Keep it up though Walt! I’m so excited to hear you are playing with others.

Marcus

Walt, if the speed is the issue, consider using longer notes….by that I mean if the tempo is 170, then 16th notes are 4x as fast, but whole notes are 4x slower. Consider playing something on the 1 or the 1 and 3 of every bar instead of each beat or even subdivisions of beats. If they guitarists have been killing it with tons of notes breaking that up with a more spacious solo could give the listeners ears a break and might juxtapose against the song nicely. Using longer notes and subdividing the phrase or the bar instead of the beat is a trick I often use when the song is faster than I can comfortably play.

Walt
    Participant

Joshua, Thank you for your reply. I took your suggestion and have been working up to the tempo. I still need to work on creativity. I should be passable by Friday. I also, I had to practice playing the groove at that tempo and then going in and out of a solo.

Marcus, that is a great idea. I tried it and it sounds realllly good. Thanks!

Grant
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you are feeling more comfortable with the challenge Walt!! That is awesome. Keep it up, these situations only push you to be a better player. Let us know if you ever need anything else bud!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.