Downbeat vs Upbeat

Drum Lessons Forums DBD Member Lesson Discussion Downbeat vs Upbeat

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

Not sure if I am over thinking things or just confusing myself. Going through the beginner track 1 and the reading sheet music lessons. Could I please get some clarification on downbeat vs upbeat? :) I think I am not quite understanding what it means.

Robert
    Participant

The technical definiton as far as a conductor is concerned is that the downbeat is the first beat of a measure and the upbeat is the last beat (conductors will raise their hand on the upbeat to indicate a change in measure).  However, as it pertains to us drummers, think of it as the “&” that lands between the counted beats.  In standard 4/4 time you count the measure as 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.  The & is the upbeat.  That’s the easiest way to think of it from a practical manner.

Stephanie
    Participant

Thank you so much! I knew the technical definition and it just wasn’t making sense in relation to drumming. Your explanation is perfect! Thank you again :)

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Robert slides in for the win!

Even brought in the conducting part…I love it!

• Author

Stephanie
    Participant

Not sure if I am over thinking things or just confusing myself. Going through the beginner track 1 and the reading sheet music lessons. Could I please get some clarification on downbeat vs upbeat? :) I think I am not quite understanding what it means.

Robert
    Participant

The technical definiton as far as a conductor is concerned is that the downbeat is the first beat of a measure and the upbeat is the last beat (conductors will raise their hand on the upbeat to indicate a change in measure).  However, as it pertains to us drummers, think of it as the “&” that lands between the counted beats.  In standard 4/4 time you count the measure as 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.  The & is the upbeat.  That’s the easiest way to think of it from a practical manner.

Stephanie
    Participant

Thank you so much! I knew the technical definition and it just wasn’t making sense in relation to drumming. Your explanation is perfect! Thank you again :)

Stephen
    Keymaster

@Robert slides in for the win!

Even brought in the conducting part…I love it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.