Cymbal question

Drum Lessons Forums Gear Talk Cymbal question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant

Is this a decent ride I really don’t like the sound of it myself. What’s the best way to change the sound of it?

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey John!

The XS line of Sabian Cymbals is what you could call an “intermediate” level cymbal. Definitely not a beginer cymbal, but also not in their HHX or Artisan line of cymbals. If you want to dry the cymbal up, you can throw some gaff tape on the bottom of the cymbal!

I’ve attached a video HERE that Stephen made about different ways to change the sound of a cymbal. Let me know if you have any questions John!

John
    Participant

Thanks brother

Grant
    Keymaster

You got it!

John
    Participant

Great I’ll try that

Paul
    Participant

I have a set of XS20’s that i use for band rehearsals. The rideĀ  its quite a mellow sound and the bell is very small and weak sounding. It would I think be a great ride for jazz.

The XS20’s are a bit of a mixed bag with the hi hats and splash being very good, but the crashes a bit brash. You could definitely gig with them.

Grant
    Keymaster

I have to agree with Paul. I would say the hats and ride are the best part of that line of cymbals. The crashes can sound a bit too metallic for my taste.

• Author

John
    Participant

Is this a decent ride I really don’t like the sound of it myself. What’s the best way to change the sound of it?

Grant
    Keymaster

Hey John!

The XS line of Sabian Cymbals is what you could call an “intermediate” level cymbal. Definitely not a beginer cymbal, but also not in their HHX or Artisan line of cymbals. If you want to dry the cymbal up, you can throw some gaff tape on the bottom of the cymbal!

I’ve attached a video HERE that Stephen made about different ways to change the sound of a cymbal. Let me know if you have any questions John!

John
    Participant

Thanks brother

Grant
    Keymaster

You got it!

John
    Participant

Great I’ll try that

Paul
    Participant

I have a set of XS20’s that i use for band rehearsals. The rideĀ  its quite a mellow sound and the bell is very small and weak sounding. It would I think be a great ride for jazz.

The XS20’s are a bit of a mixed bag with the hi hats and splash being very good, but the crashes a bit brash. You could definitely gig with them.

Grant
    Keymaster

I have to agree with Paul. I would say the hats and ride are the best part of that line of cymbals. The crashes can sound a bit too metallic for my taste.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.