Best Lesson for you?

Drum Lessons Forums DBD Member Lesson Discussion Best Lesson for you?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Walt
    Participant

I am curious about what lesson or lesson tract impacted your playing the most? And why?

For me it’s been the groove track. I was surprised how much more even my playing has gotten. Which is kind of surprising since so many of the “grooves” aren’t things I would play normally. I’ve had some nice complements lately.

Now I need to work on creativity,  any suggestions?

Thanks,

Walt

Marcus

The groove track definitely exposed some issues for me. I discovered a lack of real control with my kick foot was seriously impacting my playing and feel.   That was the track that opened the door. Working that in combination with the various bass drum control tracks has made a big difference for me.   As far as creativity goes, I think the rudiment tracks are really good for that. Obviously you will work your rudiments, but the way you learn to put them through Stephen’s system really opens up some creative avenues.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Marcus.
    Walt
    Participant

@Marcus – I had the simliar revelation about my kick foot during the groove tract. And like you I started the bass drum track. I never considered the rudiment tract for creativity. But I will definitely start that track next. Thank you for the recommendation.

Christian
    Participant

For me it is definitely the Hand Technique. Being a self learned drummer, never really got the appropriate lesson to learn proper hand technique. Now it’s opened up so much of my playing, and just being conscious when I tense up!

Marcus

Walt, Stephen posted some stuff about creativity recently that I thought was really profound.  Sometimes, we get so caught up in our drumming that we think sitting behind the kit working harder at being creative will cause us to be more creative.  Sometimes the opposite is true.  We have to get away from the kit and maybe away from music to find new creativity. So if you are grinding away in the practice room to be more creative, consider what you do with your time away from the kit and away music  so that it can inspire what you do when you are at the kit.

Grant
    Keymaster

I definitely support Marcus’ thoughts on the rudiment track. One of the best ways to practice creativity is to have as many tools as possible at your disposal so that you can pull from different rudiments in your creativity. Great thinking Marcus.

This wasn’t something I was used to doing until I finally returned to square one and focused on rebuilding my playing from the ground up.

• Author

Walt
    Participant

I am curious about what lesson or lesson tract impacted your playing the most? And why?

For me it’s been the groove track. I was surprised how much more even my playing has gotten. Which is kind of surprising since so many of the “grooves” aren’t things I would play normally. I’ve had some nice complements lately.

Now I need to work on creativity,  any suggestions?

Thanks,

Walt

Marcus

The groove track definitely exposed some issues for me. I discovered a lack of real control with my kick foot was seriously impacting my playing and feel.   That was the track that opened the door. Working that in combination with the various bass drum control tracks has made a big difference for me.   As far as creativity goes, I think the rudiment tracks are really good for that. Obviously you will work your rudiments, but the way you learn to put them through Stephen’s system really opens up some creative avenues.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Marcus.

Walt
    Participant

@Marcus – I had the simliar revelation about my kick foot during the groove tract. And like you I started the bass drum track. I never considered the rudiment tract for creativity. But I will definitely start that track next. Thank you for the recommendation.

Christian
    Participant

For me it is definitely the Hand Technique. Being a self learned drummer, never really got the appropriate lesson to learn proper hand technique. Now it’s opened up so much of my playing, and just being conscious when I tense up!

Marcus

Walt, Stephen posted some stuff about creativity recently that I thought was really profound.  Sometimes, we get so caught up in our drumming that we think sitting behind the kit working harder at being creative will cause us to be more creative.  Sometimes the opposite is true.  We have to get away from the kit and maybe away from music to find new creativity. So if you are grinding away in the practice room to be more creative, consider what you do with your time away from the kit and away music  so that it can inspire what you do when you are at the kit.

Grant
    Keymaster

I definitely support Marcus’ thoughts on the rudiment track. One of the best ways to practice creativity is to have as many tools as possible at your disposal so that you can pull from different rudiments in your creativity. Great thinking Marcus.

This wasn’t something I was used to doing until I finally returned to square one and focused on rebuilding my playing from the ground up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.